Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dancing in the park and guitars

I was in one of Austin's parks this weekend and saw the strangest sight. A couple was waltzing cajun style with no music playing. I got closer and it seems they had an ipod, each with an earbud in one ear, all in their own private world. Didn't disturb them and ask what was playing...seemed like something good, because they were smiling.

I'm drooling over a 20 yr old Taylor 712 for sale at a local store. Fabulous sound...the $1595 price tag slows me down, though it would keep it's value.

Also had a nice 40's Gibson L-OO (that is $3500)...dream on. Hell, it's the price of two La boxes.

Re: Dancing in the park and guitars

John... You saw a strange sight in an Austin, TX park?! Say it ain't so!

I would've asked the dude if I could cut in.

Additionally, I'd wait another year on Taylor -- just from the legal aspect. And... (712)? That's Sioux Falls... it'll never work -- you're right about the price tag, too. At that age it's all about material matters. Gibson sounds like she'd treat you right (40's have a way with "experience" but probably has a zero tolerance for BS). Yuh git wat yuh pay fo'.

R!CK

Re: Re: Dancing in the park and guitars

Ya do git what ya pay fer, no foolin'

I could get a 50's vintage Gibson J-45 for no more than the Taylor and it would probably sound better. You might be able to tell I am attracted to Gibson guitars, certainly more than Martins.

Re: Re: Re: Dancing in the park and guitars

There's a fine line between attraction and addiction. Remember what I said about the accordion forum posting. There's a cool lil' red guy on my left shoulder... and then there's another one in white (a real stick in the mud) on my right shoulder... that looks like bird or something.

I gotta start drinking more often...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dancing in the park and guitars

Actually, I don't want to get too good a guitar and be distracted from my accordion playing. I still want a D box...I've got a bottle of Paddy's Irish Whiskey that needs attention, maybe a bit of wisdom will come from it.

Then again, I need to grab my wife and go dancing...the park sounds great.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dancing in the park and guitars

Hey Big John!

I Think You missed the CFMA dance in SA on S'atday night. Junior Hebert put on a good show. He has three Falcons, a C,D and Bflat. Band was pretty good, just had a hard time starting each number on the downbeat. Had a steel player who also could play fiddle, harmonica, and accordion, as well as sing, even though the drummer did 99% of the singing. Kind of unusual, but he had a great voice and knew them all.
Anyway, Junior is no longer in the butcher shop business anymore, at least on a meat cutting level. He just Motor-Homes around checking out the family stores scattered around the Great States of LA, TX and OK and playing his Falcons. Tough Life but somebody has to do it.
Keep Squeezin'
JB

Re: Dancing in the park and guitars

Great story. Keep South Austin Weird like it says on the bumper stickers. Suits me just fine. Good luck w/ your guitar pursuit. Seriously, the L-00 seems over-priced...of course, a lot of old Gibby's seem that way to me. Friend of mine has a '54 LG-1 and man, that puppy is sa-weet.

Rob K.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!