Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun accordion cases?

Any recommendations? I've got an accordion on the way (more on that later - I don't want to jinx it), but it doesn't come with a case. I talked to Marc Savoy, and he has hard cases for $100 (I think) and $75 for a soft case. With piano accordions I much prefer soft cases, since they make the package much lighter, but with a Cajun accordion I'm not sure, they're already so light. So which do y'all recommend? What brand and what source for your recommendation?

Thanks, Jamey

Re: Cajun accordion cases?

I've been using a Peavey gig bag for a couple years, and am happy with it. Perfect fit for the accordion, lots of pockets, and a shoulder strap. Seems to be padded pretty good, have used it a lot with no damage - and no doubt it's been in harms way. here's Peavey's link:
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/131/item/94831/number/00479840/PV%28R%292KBAG.cfm
If I remember right, a couple builders offered these for sale, but you can get them through the thrash, slash, and mosh places like Sam Ash, Musician's Friend, etc.
Now, if anybody knows of any cases that holds TWO accordions, I'm all ears!
Steve

Re: Re: Cajun accordion cases?

I own 4 flight cases built by Larry Miller. I couldn't imagine not having them. Wish he was still making them. Maybe he still does? Maybe he's got Jay making them? Maybe he didn't make them at all and he did a third party deal?

I saw Rosie Ledet's accordion case -- totally custom. 4-stop one side and then her Dino on the other side. Double-header... sure was sweet. Just like Rosie!

R!CK

Hey Steve, I couldn't get that link to load. Do you have another address I could check out that bag? I went to Sam Ash and couldn't find it.

Thanks, jamey

Re: Re: Re: Cajun accordion cases?

I just tried the link, but couldn't even get peavey.com to load. The server may be down, try later. It's called PV)R) 2K bag, if that helps.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun accordion cases?

The soft case Marc Savoy sells is the Peavey.

The Peavey bag is great. Outside pockets for books etc and the accordion fits perfectly with the stops left open.

If you are doing any air travel, I would highly suggest
a hardshell. I always carry on, but I hate putting stuff
under the seat and restricting leg room, so it goes in
the overhead. Once its there, it will get shoved, pushed
and pounced upon by some dude and his/or her overweight
carry-on. A gig bag or soft case is subject to damage.

A highly relevant question as we're travelling Australia - Scotland - Ireland - USA ( Arkansas/ Louisiana) - back to Australia in March/April.
A soft bag cistom made for 1 accordion sold by Larry Miller ,I think ,(Fellow Brave and Good Friend Mark S. from Arkansas kindly donated it to me on our last trip..big thanks Mark )is ideal, but we'll be using about 8 different airline carriers and no Airline is promising anything about allowing my soft case and accordion as cabin baggage even though it appears to be well within the cabin baggage lineal dimensions limit.

I don't want to risk getting to a check-in half way round the world and find they won't let me take it on board.

An option may be to purchase a custom made padded hard shell ( aluminium? ) case for general stowage but I'm reluctant to let baggage handlers get a hold of it as even though it should protect the accordion from knocks and scrapes, issues like vibration, temperature variables etc. etc. start to freak me out with regard to the instruments working mechanisms.

So..what do I do other than leave my accordions back home in Oz??

There must be plenty of players doing air travel with accordions ( single rows, etc ) to France, Canada etc and across the USA...what's the chances of an accordion getting there in one piece with general stowage in the belly of the plane but in a hard case??
These things cost a lot of money ...I'm regrettably inclined to leave them home which sort of defeats the purpose of part of our travel plans!!

Any advice??

Darryl.

Oh..and I forgot to mention that a soft case with 1 Cajun Accordion ( Bon Temps or Master ) weighs in at nearly 8 kilograms ( according to our bathroom scales!! )...that's almost 1 kilo OVER many International and Domestic airlines stated new cabin baggage limits.

....very frustrating.

Darryl.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun accordion cases?

It seems that there's a Ying and Yang to everything,
and accordion cases are no exception.

I love the soft Peavey cases 'cause you can use
the shoulder strap and carry several instruments
and guitar, etc. simultaneously.

But, my last road guy was no van loading Einstein, and
really bent the cr*p out of my "F" Savoy box!

I had to do a lot of creative flapper bending to
make the unit playable for a gig. What a horrible
sensation, bending rods around until the leaks stopped.

I've also had the "stops" bent over on my "C" box ..
(by the same Einstein, who incidentally left the band
with some equipment that he never paid me for )

Who, Me? Bitter?

At any rate, the hard shells offer infinitely more
protection, but are a pain to haul around.

And that's been my experience

--Big

Great website.
Re: Cajun accordion cases and the cotton case

I thought that a Cajun accordion always was carried in a bag of cotton.
Just like Iry LeJeune

Jamey,

Try the link above. This site takes a while to load, at least on my computer. MBT MBTLP1 LP Case. Absolutely undestructable. The Gorillas at the airport can't phase it. Can be locked with a padlock, as well. Get some thick velvet felt, some sheet-foam, some high-quality adhesive (glue)and line it to your accordion's dimentions. It is compact, light, and looks good. I have one made for my Le Capitaine by Danny Dyson in Lake Charles and am very satisfied.
JB

I love the little soft ice-chests on wheels with the telescoping handles that I picked up at Stein Mart some years back for $24. I also bought a couple more at Office Depot on sale for $9.95 each more recently.

The insulation helps keep it cool, and when you get where you're going it holds up to 48 cans of Schlitz with ice!!!

Where in the world can you still find Schlitz beer? Bring some along the next time you and your lovely guitar-picken' wife make it over here to San Antonio, and I'll find somebody to help you drink it!
JB

What?! No Schlitz in SA? Get outta here... Go to your adult beverage retailer and locate the expensive imported beers. Now look for the domestics. Keep walking that direction until you reach the end of the cooler. Right up against that end cooler wall, look for the blue bull. Olympia, PBR, Lone Star, and [the Beast] are generally his neighbors in the cooler.

The Bull goes great with Underwood's Deviled Ham, Totino's Mini-pizzas, Hamburger Helper and one of those edible orange wax harmonicas.

Bon ap, Jack!

R!CK

Re: Schlitz?

I understand they make "Schlitz" beer in Germany and it is better than the US version...

Re: Re: Schlitz?

Schlitz gives me the ****s

Re: Re: Re: Schlitz?

And they dont even charge extra for that.

If you skip the ice you can stuff more beer.

I, too, suggest the Peavey that Marc sells. Marc even has a couple of "tricks" where he removes the 6 little padded dividers from the inside of the bag, stacks the pads on top of one another to form a single thick rectangular pad, wraps tape around the rectangle. Set on top of the accordion before zipping the case's top closed, this padding extends slightly higher than the raised stops, giving good protection to the stops from above -- although I try to always take extra care when leaving stops raised. He also lays the two larger velcroed dividers flat inside the bottom of the bag giving extra protection to the accordion against impacts from below...very clever uses for these bits that I probably would have otherwise disposed of. If I made this sound complicated, I'm sure Marc would do it for you prior to shipping you the bag, if you asked him to.

Because of the lightness of the Peavey and comfort of the shoulder strap, along with the extra protection described above, I don't remember the last time I used a hard case...although, I do keep one just in "case".

Dale

I found this resource very usefull.

Some years ago, I saw one guy, whom had 2 cajun boxes , stored in a nicely foam packed flight aluminum accoustic guitar case, and this guy does a lot of travelling across Canada and the US.
Works for him!.

Claude.

When flying, I've never had a problem bringing the hard case into the cabin. If I did, I'd check the case and bring the accordion into the cabin, placed underseat. I've put the accordion in a schoolbag-style backpack and it's been fine under the seat, too. The TSA (see link #1) permits an instrument in the cabin in addition to your other carry-on items. See link #2 for advice and link #3 for the famous TSA letter you should carry when you fly. The following website (you'll have to copy and paste it to your browser address window) is full of advice from an orchestral musician:
http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/travel.html

Russ,

Thanks for your Post info., much appreciated.

I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say, but if I can come up with a hard case as you've shown, and upon arrival at Baggage Check - In choose to OR be TOLD to commit it to stowage rather than cabin ( which MAY be the case with one of the many non-USA, non- TSA airlines I'll be using on our trip )then I wonder if issues like heat/ cold come into consideration for the accordions well-being!!. eg. I'd hate to see my accordion/s in nice new shock proofed hard case marked fragile sitting on a baggage handlers trolley in 100F blazing sun while they off load all the baggage.
I recall Geno Delafose telling me that he had that experience once and MANY waxed reeds just fell out of place and he only found out at sound check......not sure what he did to get out of the dilemma..

Guess I'd like to hear someone's comment on that heat/cold aspect of the issue then I'll make a decision from there.

Thanks again Russ.

Great design.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!