Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amplifier Help

I am thinking about buying an Evans E200 Keyboard Amplifier from my cousin, who is a steel guitar player. It has never been used except for one gig, and when I hooked it up to my clip-on Sennheiser mic, it made my Le Capitaine sound Much-o Loud-o. He wants $650.00.
Need some advice from you guys with bands or who anybody who knows more about amplification than me ( which would include everybody).Is that a good buy for the long haul? Any comments would be appreciated.
JB

Re: Amplifier Help

See the recent discussion (a few weeks ago) about the need for jammin' on the porch with an amp (in the subject line. I've used a guitar amp, bass amp, and a keyboard amp in the past... until 3 years ago when I purchased the ultimate Cajun accordion amplifier.

I am still raving about it -- I love it. I'm talking about my (Katsuyoshi Dan), Roland AC-60 acoustic amp (from Los Angeles, CA.)

(I don't own a "Dyson box", but if I did, I would refer to it as my Danny Dyson box from Lake Charles, LA.)

Azz far azz using a keyboard amp -- yep. Yep, that would work well. But for the same price, you can pick up the Roland (literally -- comes with a shoulder bag case) weighs about 20lbs soaking wet and you can take it practically anywhere to jam/gig (where there's electricity), plug in and sound k-i-l-l-e-r. It also has XLR out among many other excellent features (feedback elimination is one of my favorites).

Do watcha wanna, but any accordion player within eyeshot of this message should at least go plug into one of these (Katsuyoshi Dan), Roland AC-60 acoustic amp (from Los Angeles, CA.) and hear the difference (whether you are an internal or external mic'ed player).

I enjoy typing (with parenthesis) today!

R!CK

How's the bass response?

Is the bass response good?

David Sousa (from a town near Los Angeles, CA.) wants to know.

Re: How's the bass response?

Why yes! (the bass response is throaty goodness) (it won't rattle yer teeth like a pair of Mackie powered subwoofers) but it will put a (smile on yer face!) Give it a shot, brutha... Truth be known, I'm drooling over and looking forward to (the Bose L1 Model II System). Now that's ultimate!

It'll make ya grit yer teeth.

R!CK

Re: Re: Amplifier Help

Thanks, Rick

I am gonna buy the Evans Amp. It's big enough to use as a bar [table] to hold my Schlitz [or my Red Dog] whilst I am jammin' on the [back] porch with my Daniel Dyson {genuine} LA made melodeon.
I'll try to refrain from using too many ((())) in the future and try to be more creative {{[[}}]].
Meanwhile, keep helpin' keep Dallas weird. John Fine and I will do our part a little futher South.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Amplifier Help

Good luck with the bar/amp! Let us know how it works out.

I wish Dallas was weird -- you know and I know it lacks a true cultural vibe/scene. I keep doin' what I can to stir the pot.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Amplifier Help

Dallas, no culture? What do you mean? Dallas has Miss Ellie, and Who Shot J.R. - now *that* is real culture.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amplifier Help

Okay, maybe I'm a lil' harsh! There's a lack of C/Z/LA (LA=one dot not two) culture.

What exists here is a fascination with freeway construction, high-rise condos, strip malls, billboards, and gated communities with feel-good names. The only thing that is well-defined is the downtown skyline and the HUGE focus on sports and sporting events. It's a huge city, but boring. Everything is spread out. There's no cool districts of defined culture. No Little Italy, no China Town, no India Bazaar -- there is a feel of Mexico, though. Oak Cliff, a township, feels like a border town with tons of great restaurants and shops. But that's about it. Oh yeah, the place is void of any geography. It's flat and basically treeless.

The notion of Dallas being overrun with cowboys, horses and big hair is something completely invented. Oh sure you can find that flavor if you drive 90 miles in any direction outside of the Metroplex, but here, we are all about clogged tollways moving at 90 miles and hour, million dollar condo lofts, $4 bar beers, and expensive fusion restaurants that last about a year.

If you visit Big D, plan to drive offensively and don't forget your Visa card!

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!