Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update on my guitar search.

I've tried Art & Lutherie, Norman, Seagull, Blueridge, Johnson "Carolina", lower end Martins,and a few others both new and used... then I found a prize at a local pawn-shop: a like-new Epiphone Masterbuilt 500-DRS, with the "Masterbuilt" hard case (hygrometer inside) for only $300!!! Solid spruce top, solid rosewood sides, and sounds fabulous. The only thing wrong was the 1st string was broken. I got a new set of strings for it (probably better than the factory ones) and the guys at Ray Hennig's "Heart of Texas Music" were so impressed they wanted to take it home. Thanks for all the tips guys, it wouldn't have been possible without you.

I'm still squeezin' my box every day.

J

Re: Update on my guitar search.

I'm sure these are way out of your budget, but a friend of mine named Vince Pawless here in DFW builds his own "Pawless" guitars. They are quite remarkable and not many folks know about them:

http://www.pawless.com/

R!CK

Re: Re: Update on my guitar search.

John, I thought you had bought and Art & Lutherie off Ebay?

Re: Re: Re: Update on my guitar search.

Yeah, I've got that too. I've had that in my hands for a couple of days now. Very nice guitar, but couldn't pass on the Epiphone deal. Different sound. I think the A&L will be a better for finger style. Keep them both? Sell one? I could probably make money on the Epiphone.

Thanks

Congratulations John on your new axe!

Rick - I'm not much for sunbursts on acoustic guitars, but that Pawless Jumbo Mesquite has my left leg shakin'!

Steve Blais - playing Simon & Patrick "Woodland Folk Cedar" these days that I bought all scratched up for $140 with bridge and neck brace problems - dreaming of a Gibson SJ-150

Good work! Enjoy!

I have a "Martin" Sigma Korean model dm-40 that I bought in 1995 for $300.00 on sale from $500.00. It has a pickup, great sound, and a feel much like an electric guitar. I've had a couple of local bandmembers use it an they liked it just fine. I think that for the price I did not go wrong. I just have to learn to play it! I guess it would be hard to fully learn all of the instruments I have and keep a job! I've heard that to continually learn helps keep away alztimers(sp?) disease?

Interesting to see all those cedar top guitars. I've had two A&L's
(one trashed by the airlines) and I love them . Especially great, warm
bass sound when playing choke style. Fine guitars for the $500 range.

Gene

Good point on choke style. The A&L cedar top will probably be better for a Cajun band. The Epiphone is a big booming dreadnaught that might be too loud.

Of course the guitars I make are the best.
The Gibson Advanced Jumbo may be too pricey, but they have a well balanced tone and volume due to some unique design geometry. One thing to consider is the fingerboard radius. Some like the near flat Martins, some the tight radius Fenders. Gibson and Taylor fall in between. Play them and see how your hand feels.

Now you are getting into areas beyond my experience. The fine-points of guitars are things I am just now beginning to learn.

Accordionist and guitarists... gotta have one for the other! Every guitarist I've ever worked with has had the greatest influence on my songwriting and outlook on being part of a band. I love my guitarist. He's a total necessity.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!