Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which Cajun Accordian to buy

I recently traded for a Hohner Panther and have enjoyed playing around on it for a few days, but would like to get a cajun sound. Which instrument should I buy? Also, need suggestions on beginning instructional DVD. I have the Evo Bluestein DVD, but would like something more informative.

Thanks.

Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

Hey Chickentoes... welcome! I'd recommend a Randy Falcon accordion (from Duson LA) in the key of C. The best Instructional DVD is by Dirk Powell. Google this info and you're set.

Okay, so the Falcon accordion may be a bit extravagant. Go for a Hohner 114 in C, from Savoy Music Center in Eunice LA.

Get back to us on your progress...

R!CK

Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

Thanks for the input. Whose to say what's extravagant? If I've learned anything from buying and playing guitars over the last 35 years, it's that (suprise) you get what you pay for. I am assuming it's the same here. But starting out at a bit of the lower end probably makes some sense. However...

Thanks again for the help, I am really enjoying learning a new instrument. (What is it about music that does this to us?)

Re: Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

So has anyone else heard that Randy doesn't use Salpa reeds anymore?

Someone by way of another maker said that Randy doesn't like the quality of the reeds being turned out by the company after Salpa merged with Antonelli.

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

I've heard in many peoples opinion that Salpa doesn't even exist. I was assuming that was an "opinion" and not literal.

The Hohner is an okay accordion to start, although a little awkward to start. The action is extremely tight (unless you alter it, which is a pain on those things) and the newer models are infamous for the bass springs breaking. I'm not fond of the bellows, either.... But this is coming from someone who is spoiled by Cajun handmade accordions! I still love my hohners though. I like how light weight they are and they are nice and LOUD and has a pleasing tone (imo)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

Salpa and Antonelli merged to form a new company.
The new reeds are called Voici Armachi. Reeds under the name brands of Salpa and Antonelli are no long available from the manufacturer.
Jude

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

If anyone knows where I can get a quality used cajun C accordian, please email me. Folks in the business, please don't hesitate to holler if you have something. Thanks to the sponsors and contributors to this forum. I have finally found a place to learn more about these instruments. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Hey Jude

Can you tell that they are a different reed from the Salpa or the Antoneli? have you used them yet?
Just curious.
Merci
MarkS

Re: Hey Jude

Hey Mark,
I have Salpa reeds in my personal "C" and "D" accordions. I prefer the sound of them over Binci reeds. That's my preference. With that said,I have only used one set of the Voci Armachi. They are in the key of "C" and are in the black accordion that was mentioned in an earlier thread by Ganey. This accordion has the sound that I have been searching for, for my own accordions. I like them. Could be that they're not for everyone, but I will be building myself a new "C" with these reeds in it,in the near future.
Jude

Re: Re: Hey Jude

Mark, I have a couple of video's on youtube, two of which I'm playing a black accordion, this one was made with Binci reeds, the other two videos are the most recent with a Walnut accordion, this one has the Voici Armoniche reeds in it. Both are in the key of "c", there is a distinct difference in soudn for the two that I notice, the biggest thing is the Voici's require more air to play, therefore, there are some adjustments that need to be made while installing the reeds blocks in order to assure that the air consumption is acceptable.

you will get lots of answers on this one, but you might want to check into a Bon Cajun. I know lots here have them and they are fine instruments. Larry Miller is semi-retired but his grandson took over the business and is now building Bon Cajuns to Larry's specs. I understand he is doing a fine job although I have not seen one of his. Larry put out a book called 'You can play Cajun accordion' with accompanying CD. The CD has lots of nice old tunes on it most by Allie Young and it is worth the price of the book alone. The book gives a nice overview of the accordion with fingerings, tabs, and many basic sample tunes to get you started.

Hal

ChickenToes, what budget are you working with for your Cajun box?
Based on the number, I'll give you some ideas.

1000.ish. But, Maybe I'd be better off with china cheap and then later make the leap? However, if its like guitars...usually...
money=quality=playability=enjoyment.

Thanks for your help.

You are correct.

It's like you said about guitars, but even more so ( money = quality = playability = enjoyment).

You can get an inexpensive guitar that is playable. But the cheapo Chinese accordions will only slow you down. The sound is not good, the tuning is likely to be off, the action is still, etc. They don't hold their value either.

On the other hand, a good LA or Texas made accordion will be a dream to play. They hold their value too, so that if you bought one and decided it was not for you, you will be able to turn it around with little or no loss. Furthermore, the demand for used Cajun accordions far exceeds the supply. For a seller that is good news. As a buyer, it means you might wait a long time until you find one, although you might get lucky. One of the best places to find them is right here on this forum - but they are few and far between.

In the end, your best bet might be to contact some of the builders and commission your own custom model. I consider this the "normal" way to get one. You can choose the kind of wood, the key, etc., and they'll build it just the way you want.

Good luck in your quest!

-David

Re: You are correct.

I know a guy that has a used C Martin with case for 1300. As long as it's in good shape I am assuming this is a fair price?

Re: Re: You are correct.

Yes, I would say that is a good price.

-David

I love my LeCapitaine, made by Danny Dyson of Big Lake, Louisiana.

IMHO
John

Chickentoe, with an approximately $1K budget in mind, here are your options...

1) Low-end $300-$400. These are typically Chinese-made like the Hohner Ariette, or other no-name. Here's an example:http://www.accordion-o-rama.com/One%20row%20button%20accordions.htm My first box was an Ariette. I learned on it and I went with that beacause I wasn't sure if I would really like it. It's okay to learn. It's like buying a $100 guitar. The reeds are poor quality, the action is harder and the bellows are not really tight.

3)Next step up would be a Hohner HA114 (same link as above). For about $500, you can have one of these Cajun tune if you buy from Marc Savoy in Eunice, Louisiana: http://www.savoymusiccenter.com/ Personally, I hate the spoons (instead of buttons) for the bass (left hand). The sound and playability is fine for the price, but you don't have the pleasure of playing a Cajun-style looking box.

4) Next step up would be a Gabbanelli Cajun King for about $800 http://www.gabbanelliaccordions.com/final/cajun.htm
A Gab will give you 75% of a hand-made Louisiana in terms of quality at 1/2 the cost. The craftmanship is okay (nothing fancy), the reeds are fairly good quality (Italian reeds, but not the top quality like Binci).

5) Next step up is a pre-owned Louisiana hand-made. Some of the more popular builders have names like Bon Cajun, Acadian, Martin, Swallow, etc. these would go anywhere from $1000 to $1800.

6) Finally, you get the brand new LA made, which you order from the builder. You can expect to pay anywhere from $1800 to $2500 depending on how fancy you want it (cosmetic). These typically are built using the best reeds and bellows in the world, which come from Ancona, Italy, and are built with nice craftmanship. Each builder has their own little difference here and there in terms of finishing, dimensions etc. Some of the better known builders include Jay Miller, grand-son of Larry (Bon Cajun), Marc Savoy (Acadian) Cecil Fontenot (Swallow), Clarence Martin (Martin), etc.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure what option would be best for you. If you can get a pre-owned Martin fro $1300 it is probably worth it if it is in really good condition, but it is beyond your budget. If I wanted to spend less than $1K for a decent box, I would go for a Gabbanelli Cajun King. If you can spend a little more, a pre-owned LA Made would be worth it.

PS, if you want to see my boxes, you can see them above. Link #1 shows my Bon Cajun built by Larry Miller in C. Link #2 shows my walnut Acadian built by Marc Savoy in D. I love them both.

Good luck in your search. Maz

Dont forget our very own Bon Temps accordions by Jude Moreau. Good accordion, good price, and as honest and straightforward a man as you'll find.

Please add Jude Moreau (Bon Temp) and Danny Dyson (LeCapitaine) and Ed Poullard (Poullard) to the list of quality builders. The price of their new boxes are also lower than the "better known" builders. The quality is every bit as good.

Links #1 above for a good list of builders and link #2 is the site for Danny Dyson's "LeCapitaine" boxes.

Also, if you want to see some photos of LA boxes?...check out the Yahoo group in link #3 above.

John

Thanks guys for adding the other builders. I certainly didn't want to be biaised. The ones I mentioned are the ones that came to mind as I wrote the post, hence why the "etc.".
Speaking of pictures & builders, I have taken the habit of saving picture of nice boxes when i see them. Most of these pics are viewable on this Facebook for Cajun music musicians: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5212667377 or link #2.

Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy and thanks for the info Maz

I have only met two builders: Ed Poullard and Danny Dyson. I was impressed by both. The entire LA accordion building community seems to be among the best people on earth. There just is no "best" as far as I can tell. and Maz, I'm enjoying the Art & Lutherie guitar, thanks for the recommendation.

Ever heard of Erlewine guitars, built here in Austin?

Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy and thanks for the info Maz

No

Thanks so much to those of you that have posted helpful info and or sent me emails. Maz thanks for taking so much time to make suggestions and give detailed options to think about. I have learned so much more from you helpful folks in the last few days than I have learned in all my previous research. I have loved looking at so many great pictures also. Everyone that ya'll have told me to check with has been very informative, kind and friendly. What a great experience I am having playing and learning about these instruments and their possibilities. I have spent so much time with my guitars over the last 35 years, I never expected anything else to give me that kind of thrill, but I've learned different. Anyway this is where I am at this point. I can:

1. Keep playing and learning on my Panther till I am ready to make the big plunge with a new La. box. ($1700.-2700.)

2. Buy a 114 ($595)(though Marc says he doesn't Cajun tune them), till I take the big plunge.

3. Buy a Gabinelli Cajun King ($795) till I take the big plunge.

4. Stay with Option #1 until I find a used La. box

Any of the above seems cool, but which will be the most fun? Again thanks for everyone's help and I would love to hear from anyone that wants to comment some more either here or via email.

Chickentoes

After doing all four...I would recommend option #4. If you must get a one-row, I would go with option #2. Don't buy a Gabb.
You will find your Panther and the Hohner 114 to be pretty different. and in my opinion, the lighter weight Hohner will make the transition to an LA box easier when you get one. You can also closely approximate the dry Cajun sound on the Hohner 114 by closing one of the middle reeds.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Cajun Accordian to buy

I say learning on the Panther (I have one) is not really an option. This is a box more appropriate for other styles (blues, zydeco and some other trad) The feeling is very different.
I say go for the Gabb for the quality/price ratio for now.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!