Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Triple Row vs Single

OK, before I go after the triple row, is it:

-a little bit more challenging than single row

-a medium amount

-vastly more challenging, don't even think it unless you're seriously committed.

Thanks for the input! Scott

Re: Triple Row vs Single

The question is whether a triple row is:

A) A little bit more challenging than a single row.
B) A medium amount more challenging.
C) Vastly more challenging.

The answer is...

D) All of the above.

Huh? That may seem like a weird answer, but here's why.

A) You can play each of the rows entirely separately, in exactly the same way you play a single row. It ends up being 3 single row accordions in one box. In this case, it is not more challenging at all.

B) You might start to find easier fingerings for certain notes on a triple row, or maybe a few notes that you can't do at all. The best example of the latter is the use of flat 3rds, and modulating between the flat 3rd and the major 3rd. Another example is adding augmented 4th (or diminished 5th if you prefer). These few things allow more bluesy sounding riffs to be played. You can add just 2 or 3 notes to your vocabularly, and open up whole new areas of playing. This is only moderately more challenging than a single row.

C) You can take the triple as far as you want (playing fully chromatic lines, many more chords, etc.) and go far, far beyond the capabilities of a single row. This can in fact be vastly more challenging, but you don't have to go there at all if you don't want too. Or take it a tune at a time.

I got my triple row a few months after I got my single row, and I was quickly up and running with some simple tunes that were impossible to play on a single row.

-David

David's answer is exactly right. Step B feels like a natural extension of the 1-row. At step C (think Corey Ledet, Zydeco Joe, Andre Thierry, Jeffrey Broussard, Horace Trahan, Chris Ardoin among many others) it becomes a different instrument.

There are some incredible Tex-Mex palyers. Check out Joel Guzman accordion jam on youtube. A nice blues jam. On Karlitos Way web site, under sound bites, Ruben Coe plays some fine music on a Baffetti. More jazz than blues. You can also arrange notes for mostly on the pull, push, or both. Stick with a single row for that chanky chank Cajun sound if Cajun tunes are what you want to play.
With practice, I suck less than I used to.
Craig
PS
The Senor Maestro program is good for learning scales, progressions, chords, etc. FREE!

My limited experience with my triple-row is with Tex-Mex music. Most Tex-Mex players don't play the left hand, in fact, they remove the bass reeds so that the LH buttons all function as air regulators. They play two notes at a time with the RH a lot, often 3rds or 6ths, but not playing the LH makes things a lot easier.

Do zydeco players who play triple-row play the LH? Do they play it similar to the way that you play LH with a single-row Cajun box?

Re: Re: Triple Row vs Single

Old school Tex Mex on double and triple row uses the basses ( Santiago Jimenez, Narciso Martinez, Valerio Longoria ..on some songs.. and many more ).

Vallenato is triple row playing with virtuoso playing on the basses.. and unsophisticated playing on the right hand..lots of single and double row ..but as will Merengue..you find amazing bass playing..

Seems old La La and Zyedco had lots of bass playing..on triple and or double row when it was rubboard and box.

Roy Carriere always had the bass side going.

G.

Re: Re: Re: Triple Row vs Single

I love the triple. I use the Bass a lot although in some tunes that are not supported by the bass notes I leave it to the Bass player. To my ear, a lot of what makes Zydeco sound the way it does is the use of bass notes as melody as oopposed to a steady rhythm in cajun. I don't think the triple is necessarily limited to Zydeco. Look at Jimmy Breaux with Beausoleil and Steve Riley with the Mamou Playboys (OK he does Zydeco tunes with it) and especially with Little Band of Gold. It's alwayhs fun to do a tune that you have always done on the single and adapt it to the triple. Makes for a new sound.

Hey all I do have something to share. I got to do a number with J.Paul Jr. and the Nu Breeds at Mr. A's the Club last friday while we were down in Houston for the Solo Zydeco festival. talk about a thrill! We have a gig tonight in NYC and I am still high from the festival and the vibe on stage with J. Paul's Band. I love this tradition of giving new players a chance to hit get your feet wet. I always try to do the same and keep the circle going; and a special thanks to all who have done that for me. You know who you are!!!

what song did you play with j paul?

1. i agree with mr david sousa completely

2. i also agree with johnny ace, that it can add new spice to an old tune

3. or if the tune isn;t necessarily 'cajun', then a single row isn;t 'required'

4. johnny, what song did you play with j paul?

wle.

Re: what song did you play with j paul?

Hey Laarry. I did T. Broussard's "Body Rock" (link 1 above) It is a one note song so the band doesn't have to worry abour any changes and everyone can get a good groove going. I start it out pulling on the one button and that deep sound (I did it on a Bb)really gets it going. Man, what a thrill playing with that band!

In my opinion, the answer is, it depends and all of the above.

a) you can play just on one row, and take advantage of the different reed set, and the different possible combinations of them, to get a different sound (as compared to a single row). The only difficulty is dealing with the extra weight, and adjusting to 2 shoulder straps and no thumb strap.

b) with the additional notes and chords possible thanks to the 2 additional rows, it makes more complex songs possible (Motordude Zydeco, 41 Days as two examples). This is only slightly more difficult, but depends on how far you want to take it.

c) the 3 row also has the additional bass buttons which for me, are much more difficult. but which of course offer lots more bass possibilities.

That's how I've approached it so far. Frankly, the 3 row offers a nice sound difference to the single row, that is a nice way to mix things up during a longer night.

Finally, just being able to play in other keys can be invaluable in matching songs to ones singing voice range.

Hope this is helpful.

JJ

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!