Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

This Larry Miller box made of old birds-eye maple recovered from the bottom of Lake Superior is freaking beautiful! Key of C. Link #3 above.

I love the wood. I've got to consider something like that for the next one I order.

J. Everett

Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Very nice cuts of wood, I must say. The only thing that throws it off for me are the red flapper tips and red pivots

Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Perhaps black would be better, or yellow in this case, but I hardly ever see anything but the red pivots and tips on any box. I've seen black on only two other boxes and never any other color.

Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

My precious... my precious... It's another interesting box. I think it's got some bad gris-gris. Wood from a shipwreck? I'm not overly superstitious, but that's spooky. I wouldn't want to take it on a trip, if ya catch my drift! Afterall, "..The lake it is said never gives up her dead..."

And if it were so special, why would anyone eBay it? If I had a box that were made of something so rare, and took Larry Miller 7 months to build, the coroner would be prying it out of my cold, dead hands... just like the creepy, cursed wood of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Ah, but the spook in you is jumping to conclusions. A lot of wood is reclaimed from sunken logs, which could also be used for boats, but they dont steer well. Naturally fallen trees, plus some that were herded down rivers and sunk are being reclaimed and resawn. I'm guessing that's what this is. They're doing the same with cypress in La.

It sure is a pretty wood.

Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

No, no, no, no...the wood does not come from a shipwreak, It's just old logs sunk and lost in the lake from logging back 100 years ago or more. Not wood from a shipwreak. No different that wood salvaged from an old barn etc.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

I agree with Rick this time. If I were LArry, I'd put a spell (curse?) on this accordion. 7 months work auctioned in a few days
Shipping in US only. Suppose I buy it for $800, can anyone finish the business for me?
I consider starting a collection of never playing accordions
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

This one could be for me, the auction ends on my birthday!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

And in turn, I'll agree with Gus! And I'll agree with Capt. E., too, and even Bryan. But the seller's description sez: "Hand made from birds eye maple recovered from a shipwreck at the bottom of Lake Superior."

Run away. This box is baaaaaaaad luck.

Then the 50%-ly "broken-in"? It probably whispers from inside it's case at night... "let me out... let me out... I can't breathe..."

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

I never read descriptions or directions, and you should know better than to agree with me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

'recovered from a shipwreck' could still mean
the boat was carrying the wood

doesn;t mean it was the actual boat wood

oh well

wle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Hehe. C'MON, work with me here! I'm building an argument against this accordion. It's a true accordion crime for someone to hock Larry's fresh, hard work so easily!

Since there's no emoticon for toungue-in-cheek, I'll just use this one...

R!CK

P.S. Bryan, I will forever listen to ya! Lanse Gris speaks volumes to me, mon ami!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

I agree, why would someone order a beautiful obviously custom box and sell it a few months later???...perhaps financial disaster...perhaps threat of divorce...who knows. Of course, bad ju-ju there as well. Do you really want to take advantage of someone else's misfortune? Then again, buying it may be helping them out. So bid with a good heart.

Capt. E

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

They did not build ships out of birds-eye-maple. It was probably cargo on a barge. Ok ... if you think bad ju-jU. Someone else will get a fine box. I expect any bad energies were exorcised by the loving work Larry put into building it.

Capt. E

Moi Capitaine,

Of course ships weren't built out of birds-eye maple. That would be preposterous to fancy a sailing vessel be made entirely of birds-eye. Perhaps Native Americans indigenous to the Great Lakes region fashioned small canoes exclusively of birds-eye, but beyond that notion, one could surmise the use of birds-eye to be limited to ornamental structures, paneling, railings, and colossal steering wheels; and in this case -- an accordion built out of a Somateria mollissima, also known as the Common Eider. There are ways of determining this...

Does wood sink in water?

No, it floats.

What also floats in water?

A duck.

Does a duck have a bird's eye?

I rest my case.

...I wish you luck on your bidding for this curious accordion.

R!CK

I see what you're saying, if I go frogging and have a birds eye accordion with me to call in frogs, and I throw a water snake on my snake fearful paddling companion in the back of the pirogue(ask me why I use that example) and he loses his paddling composure and dumps us in the coulee, I may lose our frogs, but the accordion I should find floating nearby. Thats a relief, cause otherwise I'da been worried about losing the accordion and would've been afraid to bring it.

That's a very good observation, capt'n. You might be completely right about the wood.

You talk like a real sea cap'tn

Gus

No, I just know antique furniture, woods, where they come from etc. I think dat maple is purty Don't ask me to sail the ship. I'd sink us all. I'm more of a desert rat than a sailor.

Everett, le Capitaine du Austin

p.s. just got invited to go jam with the Austin "Tail Gators" (think the LeRoi Brothers and The Fabulous Thunderbirds) Also going to meet Joel Guzman who just did a live album with Joe Ely "Live at the Cactus". Cool.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Please say hello to Joel from me ant to J.J. who is the Tailgators bassist.. ( last I knew ) !!

Glenn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

J. J. is who invited me. I was playing in the park and he rolled up, pulled out his bajo sexto and we had a good time. We both were delegates to the Travis County Dem. Convention, in the same precinct...

Capt. E

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Hey Capt.E,

Tell Don Ledy I sez, "Yo!"

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Will do...Don is the swamp rock king (at least here in Austin)

Believe it or not, Don's bass player JJ Barrera is now TEACHING at the University of Texas music school. He is an instructor of Ethnomusicology...along with Joel Guzman.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Tell JJ "'sup!" too! He still wearin' those tinted glasses? He's kewl...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay

Maybe wears the glasses on stage (those bright lights), but not out on the street. Will do. JJ's a great guy.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!