Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

I just noticed a CD I had never seen with Wilson Savoy, Cedric Watson and Louis Michot from Lost Bayou Ramblers... That should be interesting, has anyone listened to it?

What about the new Pine Leaf Boys CD? Any feedback?

Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

I've got and like both. My favorite is the Savoy Michot cd, good for traditional lovers. Nothing fancy, just good down home stuff. Wilson sings La Valse Cadien in the Savoy Michot that I give a very high frisson(goosebump) factor.

I know some people here dont care much for the PLB, but I love what they are doing, and appreciate their love of the music and culture.

Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

I've not checked it out yet, but it is on my wish list.

Bryan, I think Maz was asking about feedback. Did you hear any or notice any feedback on the Savoy/Michot/Watson recording?

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

Rick - you are a bad boy bringing up feedback like that! I am, however, looking forward to mixing the sound for Pine Leaf Boys on August 23, when they come to the Earlville Opera House (they might bring their own sound tech, but that just means I get to dance more).

If feedback occurs, I will fess up to the Braves!

Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

PLBs rock.. they got the real vibe happening.. syncopated Cajun.. God Bless Them..

They were in Saulieu last year and blew the public away..

They are trad and prog at the same time.

convinced.

Glenn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

On the terrace around the beer they were much better, though.

We had great fun with all of them. Nice guys.
Rick, can you post a nice pic with the beer?

Gus

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

Is everyone certain the PLBs have a new CD? I'm not finding it. I definitely want to get a copy, tho -- and I like a lil' bit o' feedback when it's used properly!

Yeah Gus-Gus, I'll be glad to post your pic! As long as I am allowed to make a few minor "adjustments" of course!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

??????

Always

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

That's cuz that's where Cajun music was meant to be, not recording studios. Horses are pretty in their own way, but you put a fine silk dress on it and it dont look right, unless it's mardi gras. Thats Cajun music and fancy surroundings to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

By feedback, I didn't mean sound feedback. Just comment-type feedback for the ones who listened to any of these two CDs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

Maz,

I have a cd called Savoy-Michot Cajun Band with Louis Michot, Wilson Savoy, and Bobby Michot. Doesn't include Cedric Watson. Has the same picture as the one on the Web site but Cedric Watson is not included. I almost wonder if the one with Watson is photoshopped. I would like to see the song list. My cd has the following:

Savoy-Michot Two Step
Valse de Ville Platte
Convict Two Step
Blues d'Iraq
Macaque Sur Mon Dos
Jolie Blonde
Valse de Bayou Teche
Jolie Fille
La Valse d'Orphelin
Ton Papa M'a Jeté Dehors
Valse de Lawtell
Midnight Playboy Special
Valse de Cadien
Moi, J'Connais Pas

The other album, Blues de Musicien, was nominated in the Grammy category for Zydeco and Cajun music album. If you like their first album you will also like this one. A couple of high points for me include a jure song about Hurricane Rita and a song called Musicien avec le couer cassé by Ulysse Poirier, a steel guitar player in one of those old dancehall bands. Some said the PLB's first album was the better candidate for Grammy. I don't know, I like them both.

Don't know the story behind the Savoy-Michot cd. It says remastered. Must also have a different song list.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

Oh... the one that came out in 2004 on Savoy Faire Records... doh! I thought there was a new one. Yeah, I'm looking at my copy of this... it is, "REMASTERED! Possesses a sound so powerful you feel the need to explode..." or so the little call-out on the back tray card sez so.

This is sorta the pre-PLBs/LBRs, if you will. Wonder why they didn't pursue such a combo... There's a couple of tunes on this CD that snag my ear. "Bars De La Prison" and "Midnight Playboy Special" are quite notable, imho.

Yuh had me all fired-up for a new one... dangit. Also with the PLB's new one, too! Dangit!!!. Guess the lower 48 take a while to distribute up 'bere! It's worth picking up for true!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

Just checked out Neal's request for the song listing on the CD.

Here ya go:

1. Savoy-Michot Two Step
2. Valse de Ville Platte
3. Convict Two-Step
4. Blues D'Iraq
5. Macaque Sur Mon Sos
6. Jolie Blonde
7. Valse de Bayou Teche
8. Bars de la Prison
9. Jogue au Plombeau
10. Jolie Fille
11. La Valse D'Orphelin
12. Ton Papa M'a Jeté Dhors
13. Valse de Lawtell
14. Midnight Playboy Special
15. Valse de Cajun
16. La Belle Josette
17. Moi, Je Connais Pas

~T!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

It's not exactly a new CD, it's 4 years old

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

Thanks, Rick, for the song list! Looks like the one I have but with 3 extra songs featuring Cedric Watson.

I've been meaning to get permission to post on my Web site some public domain songs that Bobby Michot and Wilson Savoy did at a Liberty Theater performance. I think it was the first time Wilson was actually scheduled to play at the Liberty, although he had substituted many times previously. Anyone know how to contact Bobby Michot?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc

It's a wunderful combination of two "new ones" and the great singer Bobby. The PLB and the LBR are both wunderfull bands with a lot of tradition in their music. We did play with Bobby in France a few years ago and that was a very good time for us.(link#2)
If we started with a woodenshoetwostep, he simply changed it in a real cajun song.
Bobby lived in France for a long time,but now he's back in Louisiana, as I read a few months ago on this forum. Try the website from the Frères Michot or the Lost Bayou Ramblers or their Myspace.

Mello Joy Boys - some of the same personnel

Mello Joy Boys "Une Tasse Cafe" is a good one if you don't mind a little 1930's "pop" music thrown in with your Cajun:
Chris Courville, Alan LaFleur, Louis Michot, Andre Michot from the current LBR lineup.

Jon Bertrand - former cowpoke and LBR member, now with PLB.

Wilson Savoy - PLB and everywhere

Guests - Ryan Brasseaux, Josh Caffery, Cavan Carruth, and D'Jalma Garnier

And the coffee ain't bad either

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!