Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which box to buy?

I am about ready to order a new box (probably from Danny Dyson) tuned in D. I have narrowed my choices down to two possibles: Link #1 is the box I now own. Link #2 is a great black box made by Larry Martin. Link #3 is a beautiful walnut box by Marc Savoy. ...black or walnut...walnut or black... which to choose? Right now I'm leaning towards the black.

Any comments?

Re: Which box to buy?

JUNIOR Martin! Sorry Larry.

One more. A "Falcon" box see link #1

I do like the silver flappers and hardware. No red.

Re: Re: Which box to buy?

non of them, Captain John,

I don't like boxes you can only play (or even see)after having identified yourself with a password.

private Gus

Re: Re: Re: Which box to buy?

John, I think I got the solution
if you are rich, buy accameleon, they change colors

Gus

Sorry, the photos are on a yahoo site. I'll see if I can get them somewhere else. Don't be afraid of Yahoo groups though. I've never had a problem with any of them.

Since I don't have the time right now to sign up for something to view the pics, my hunch says your going to order a new Le Capitaine (key of D) from Danny Dyson in Big Lake, LA. And if it were me, I wouldn't buy a used box in the first place, so my opinion is probably not very valuable here. Why am I replying to this post... oh yeah, you should just bite the bullet and order a new Bon Temps in the key of E; a Heritage in the key of D; and a Poullard in the key of A.

This would round-out your collection an cause you to not want to purchase all these formerly-owned boxes. Plus, you'd be helping out 3 of your fellow Braves in the process. And if the "Cajun Brand" building starts back up, you should add one of John Roger's beauties to your collection as well... key of ummm... Bb.

Talk about good!

R!CK

Re: Re: Which box to buy?

I tend to agree with you about buying new and supporting the builders. Four-five boxes?? why not! Of the builders out there, I have only met Danny Dyson and Ed Poullard. I like both men and their boxes very much. Last I heard Ed wasn't taking any new orders, maybe that has changed Jude Moreau is a possible as well. Danny (LeCapitaine: Link #3) is just who I know best. He has done a couple of repairs for me, very skillfully and at a good price.

Capt. E

I have a Savoy 'C' in walnut. The next would be a black box in 'd' with a bellows divider.

peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which box to buy?

to me the best sound, feel & playability is what counts most (besides considering the also very necessary support of new makers & builders) ... my favorite cajun accordion that came my way is right now an older Larry Miller made with honduras rosewood, not a looker at all, but everything else is right there musically. - mind you, that's a very personal opinion; older fiddles, guitars, mandolins, even a 70-ies musical saw i bought over the years sound better compared to most newer stuff, they seem to have got more guts and musical grit to them it seems. The psychic, spiritual & paranormal energy put into them by playing over the years? - nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!