Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stamping your feet ??

After the dance issue, I really want to know when I'm have to put my feets on the ground while playing a waltz or a two step.
I think that in a waltz the stamp is on 1 and 3.
And in a two step on 1.
I have seen it in many movies that they stamp on that number.

Re: Stamping your feet ??

hey ron, with a one step half a stamp, express mail maybe? Would love to see you do that in Saulieu next time, with your new weapon to boot. I'll bring my effalunt, pink she is too. let the Frenchies beat that eh? - nout

Check link #2 for a foot stomping demo. Who needs drums.

Don't stomp yer feet!!!

Tap your foot. There was one fiddle player at a jam I used to go to, who would stomp so hard the floor would shake. He looked intelligent, but he totally screwed up the time and the feel with his insensitivity.

For waltzes, the time is this: The one should have the downbeat, made with a foot tap, and the two and three are the rhythm guitar noting the snare -- tap-chonk-chnonk, tap-chonk-chonk...etc. And don't ask me what "chonk" means, cept it's the sound of my D-18...-L-

So-called stomping is really a violation o the other musicians music and headspace. I hate that stuff, and one person can totally ruin a jam.

These links may give you some idea for 2/4 and 4/4 music.

I think the DVD from Wilson Savoy covers waltzes.

A lot just depends on your you want to present.

Good Luck .... Ed

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!