Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
King Accordions

Hey Braves;

I got the chance to try out a King accordion at Gabinelli's this week.

Did you know that their corners are not mitered or butted but joined by an offset where the horizontal parts of the frame fit into a grove cut into the vertical parts of the frame?

I've never seen such a thing!

Have any of you?

Have you thought of doing this?

Do you think it would be stronger?

Discussion?....

Re: King Accordions

Hey Cory,
How do you think it played. Personally, I think they are well worth a $600-$700 price tag. Anything above that would be an insult to hand-crafted accordions. It is definitely an alternative for a key that you don't need very often.

The corners do offer more glue space, but I don't know about more strength. The responses should be interesting.

John and Jude will have more insight on this, but being on the end grain of the frames, I cant imagine it is anymore than cosmetic. You just dont get much strength from anything glued to end grain. I wonder if it has the glue blocks on the inside, that is a true strengthener.

Isnt that what a few Canadian boxes have? I think Nicole posted a pic of one recently.

Re: Re: King Accordions

Personally I like mitered corners but some don't find that it's too important.

However, May I note that I have never heard of a frame falling aparting while the accordion was being Played no matter what type of corners it had.

So go with you like!

Cory,

Please check one my posting of last year:

Subject:

Gabb Cajun King

Date: October 30,07.

The joint in question is widely used in woodworking.

It's called a Rabbet Flush Joint.

I did offer some of it's use in different

industries.

The end panels are inserted in both treble and bass

inside frames in ways of a dadoe.

Plus the inside corners of both of these frames are

reinforced with small glued on wood triangular angled

wedges.

the combination of both, allows for very strong

corners.

I wouldn't worry.

C.

I've got a King in Bb I picked up when they were liquidating them after John Sr. passed away. Not my main box, but still like it for the occasional Bb/Eb tune. It does have a unique sound (argue amongst yourselves if you like it or not) - not Binchi, not Hohner. Anyone know what brand reeds they are, and are they the same they use in their triple rows?
Steve

opps

I meant Bb;F

Steve

They use Cagnoni reeds in their accordions primarily, but you can request Bincis. I don't dislike the Cagnoni reeds at all. I think both Jude and Ed have used them in accordions.

Re: Re: Re: King Accordions

Ganey did you hear the Cagnoni's in one of Jude or Ed's boxes? Seems like I remember hearing Jude say he really liked them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: King Accordions

Bryan,
I don't recall for sure if I have, or not. Every time we get together, they have new boxes for me to play. I'm sure I did, and I've never played a "dog" accordion from either one of them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: King Accordions

You know, I've used Binci, Salpa, Hohnor, Cagnoni, and the new Voici reeds. I can't say that "I don't like" any one brand of reeds. they each have different qualities , and sound to them.
I think it's mainly a matter of personal prefference
on what YOU like.
As far as the Cagnoni reeds, they are a larger reed, as is the Binci. They have a good sound and they have their place in the accordion world.
I won't say they're my personal favorite. For my on taste, I like the sound of Salpa the best. Unfortunatly, they are no longer available.
That's my take on it.
Jude

That joint is called a form of mortise joint. They are very strong. I owned a King for about 4 months and it was a good box to learn on, but all I can say is that when I had a chance to play a real hand-made LA box, there was no turning back. The King is much harder to play than my LeCapitaine, in fact the LeCapitaine just MADE me play better. After owning a Hohner 114, a King, and a LeCapitaine, I would put the King third on the list. Personally, I would recommend learning with the Hohner first, then get a hand-made.

John,

A "form" of mortise Joint?.

Some "kind" of joint!!!!!.

A " Whatyoucallit" joint.

Not even close my friend ! .

Oh, well.

I'm ever glad, I didn't give that answer, when I wrote

my journeyman exam.

C.

Re: Re: Re: King Accordions

I'm sorry. What I was thinking of is a router bit that does that sort of interlocking joint...thought they called it a "mortise joint"...

Ask me about cameras and photography and I'll probably know what I am talking about.

Capt.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!