Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jim Olivier Dead at 57

I don't know how many of you on this board know of or remember Jim Olivier, but I found this obituary for him in today's Lafayette Daily Advertiser.

I remember watching his Passe Patout show on KLFY in the early morning before school. Back then, it didn't really make much of an impression on me that the broadcast was in French.

And, to be honest, the late 70s weren't the best time for Cajun music--unless you liked stuff that was overly-influenced by country/western and/or swamp pop.

But, looking back on it, Olivier and the Passe Patout show are one of the things I miss most from my childhood. My dad and I would always have it on in the morning while we drank our coffee and before my mom or sister were awake. All in all, it's another thing that I find myself missing more and more as I get older.

I'm not even sure that the current incarnation of Passe Patout features any Cajun music?

JtO

Re: Jim Olivier Dead at 57

Several years ago, while I was grad assistant in the archives department at McNeese State University. I did about three days of research with Jim for a book he was writing on, of all things, professional wrestling. To thank me for my time, he took me to eat lunch and we had great discussions about his involvement in Cajun music and the culture. He will truly be missed.

Re: Re: Jim Olivier Dead at 57

I learned to speak Cajun french when I lived with my grandmother in Vatican. In the mid 60's and Passe Patout was always on in the morning with my grandmother-Vieux Mom. I ate many bowls of cush cush watching the show. Later when Jim joined the program it was like he gave value to the Cajun language. He was well dressed and a handsome man, but what impressed me was his ability to speak french so fluently. I made me even more proud to be born in this culture.
Jerry

La Mariage A Pic Et Poc is one of my favorite songs. What did he die of?

Oh, as an aside, Swallow records just came out with a collection of his hits, which I've been wanting a long time.

Link 1 to a tribute in the Lafayette paper.

Sad news! At one time he was one of the most recognizable voices in Acadiana. Very popular and well spoken. I remember Meet Your Neighbor. They even had a call-in contest I won one time!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!