Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dennis McGee, Jr.

I just read in my hometown newspaper (Texas) that a Dennis McGee, Jr. had passed away at the age of 80 in a VERY small town called Mineral. The obit said that he was the son of Dennis and Gladys (Courville) McGee, born in 1927 in Chataignier, LA. I don't know if his father was the musician Dennis McGee, but those names and places sound very familiar, and just thought some of you might know or like to know about it.

Re: Dennis McGee, Jr.

Yup, that was his son, and my great uncle.

Re: Re: Dennis McGee, Jr.

My condolences to all your family...had no idea about him until I read the obit.

Re: Re: Dennis McGee, Jr.

Sorry about the loss.

Which son played guitar with the Ventures?

peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Dennis McGee, Jr.

That's Jerry that plays with the Ventures, who, from what I hear are still quite popular in Japan of all places.

i love the ventures!

man
i love the ventures!
had no idea of any LA connection
i was just listening to at least 5 ventures vinyl discs last week..

wle.

Re: i love the ventures!

I 'hear'a three-row lead on 'Pipeline...'

peace,
Griff

chromatic

ha ha
i hear a chromatic :)
[just started playing chromatic button
accordion lately
c system
sure would save carrying a butt load of
accordions for each key...]

wle.

Re: chromatic

Here is a video with Gerry McGee and the Ventures. Go to link #1.

Just noticed that Gerry also played on Beausoleil disc.

peace

Re: Re: chromatic

Wow. In the early 80s, opened for these guys at the infamous Dirt Club. They sold so many tickets, they had to broke the night into two shows. At the time, I didn't even know Cajun music existed. Where's Mr. Peabody and the Way Back Machine? Looking at the video, it's amazing how much of Dennis you can see in Gerry.

Steve

Re: i love the ventures!

I love the Venture, me too!

I still have a large pile of original Ventures LPs that I got from my uncle. They were his favorite band, and he had all their records. He also had a band, and played lead and rhythm guitar. They did many Ventures covers. Oh yeah, he even had a Mosrite guitar!

I think I like the Ventures In Space the best, but there's a lot of good stuff in their earlier records.

Not to take anything away from Gerry, but he was not a member of the Ventures during their heydey years in the early sixties. They had somewhat faded by the time he joined in the late sixties, and they weren't breaking much new ground by then.

I did see them at the famous Palomino club in N. Hoolywood in the early 90's, and it was a blast. They were really hamming it up.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dennis McGee, Jr.

Gerry also played with Kris Kristofferson for a while. I read somewhere that on a few ocasions Dennis would come on stage and play a few tunes with them.

Gerry McGee

Fans of John Mayall may remember Gerry McGee on the albums Back to the Roots and Memories.

Re: Dennis McGee, Jr.

Sabra,

Are you from Beeville or Corpus Christi, by any chance? That would explain your local news carrying the obit on Mr. McGee.
You are right about Mineral. You just can't get there from here.
The only place that is more isolated is the
big city of Pawnee, right up Hwy 673.

I wonder three things?
Was Denis Jr. in the Awl Bidness (oil business)?
Did he also play the fiddle?
How in the world did he wind up in Mineral, TX.?
The only thing in common with LA is the heat and the mosquitos.

I have spent lots of time in and around Bee County, but I guess you just can't get to meet everybody.
Too bad.

JB

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!