Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
temperature and sound of reeds

Is it me or do reeds sound much better in somewhat colder temperatures (nothing below 65 degrees mind you!)

When I play my accordions in air conditioning they seem to sound much better than in the same room with very warm temperatures.

Re: temperature and sound of reeds

It's everyone! Humidity, density, all play a part in modulation, attenuation, and reflection. Cold air is more dense and usually less humid thus conducting or transmitting sound energy with less reflection, dampening, and modulation.
Yup.
Craig
Germantown md

Re: Re: temperature and sound of reeds

hi Craig, before rick moves in, and i'm at least still serious: that's very interesting, you got any scientific information where you got that wisdom? i've worked with sound quite a bit: pa work, recording, gigs, the lot, and never realized this. only that when you play fiddle at high humidity gigs you'll be having some problems with a bow's hair getting too slack .... nout

Re: Re: Re: temperature and sound of reeds

My thoughts were that colder reeds contract so there's more room to vibrate. I like your theory better Craig.

Heat and humidity definately makes the accordion temporarily sound like dog sh*t and I've noticed that.

Re: temperature and sound of reeds

If heat and humidity made the accordion sound that bad, the poeple in Louisiana would really be in trouble. Yes, No

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!