Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

A Gabbanelli for sale on Ebay. Am I right? It can be switched from FBE to GCF...two accordions in one! Never seen that before. Probably very heavy.

Capt. E

Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

see Link #3

Re: Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

Not a Cajun box. A zydeco box. A left-handed zydeco box.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

Unless I am missing something...the box is upside down...not a left handed box.

It only has two reeds per key...it looks like, anyway...so it probably does not have the tone that most people look for in a zydeco accordion.

Gabbinelli usually makes these without bass reeds on the left side...again, another stike against it for Zydeco...the basses are used in Zydeco. These are two-tone triple rows designed for Tex-Mex...Conjunto players.

I really like the idea to two triple row accordions in one...but I don't know if they make one with the LMM reed combination that I would be looking for...

Who else knows about these two-tone Gabinellis?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

Yeah, not a Zydeco box. I've got a few Tejano friends who might really like it though. It is upside down in the picture. I guess the code on the label means 34 treble keys, 12 bass keys, 4 banks of reeds, 6 register switches. You have a choice of two reeds, single or double, GCF or FBE. Six different sounds. You could do some complicated key and voice changes right in the middle of a perfomance. I have heard some Tejano songs where the accordion player does as many as four different tones in the song.

They're OK for what they are.

I played one at a local music store that caters to the Tex-Mex scene. It is handy that you can change keys on the fly - it is sort of like the dual key Falcon accordions in that respect.

But, it's a non-starter for me, due to the fact that there are only two banks of reeds on at one time. I don't remember whether the one I tried had basses or not. I do use the basses, but I could live without them if I really had to.

-David

Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

Frans van der AA is building them too, dual key, two reeds per key.

He also builds tripple row accordions with four reeds per key.
It`s a vallenato accordion.

Wilfred

Re: Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

Two tone triple notes have no bass reeds and only have two sets of reeds per key. Perfect for Norteno, Conjunto, Tex-Mex. Lack of bass reeds make it lightning fast since the bass buttons are extra air buttons to get you back for more pullin'. But you know, in a band situation where you have a bass and a guitar chopping rhythm you could certainly lay down some great Zydeco grooves and never miss the lack of bass reeds. Even though two reed treble might seem a little weak, with the right EQ and some effects it would certainly do the job.

Re: Re: Re: Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??

Thanks Johnny. I didn't read the eBay listing info -- just looked at the pic, saw the 3-row Gab and commented. I agree you could play zydeco on this Gab -- I've heard zydeco played on a harmonica. But if one were to get detailed about what 3-row is preferred, Gabs are sneered at nowadays in zydeco. If you don't have a 9-switch Dino, fuggitaboutit!

R!CK

where is Glen ????????

funny, nobody named glen responded so far ....

Re: where is Glen ????????

Is it because I left out the second n ???

Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

But... but... why does Glennn get all the fun of this thread ? Seems as though if you wanted to just ask him you could have... you know... just eeeemailed him.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

and bypass all the f(p)un? that's not like you Rick, ol' chap - nout

Re: Re: Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

Confirm: only a two reed box with no bass reeds.. heavy and good only for a conjunto player who can afford only one box in two keys..

No go for zydeco..

: ) Glen(n)n

Re: Re: Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

Ricky,

Man, that Nout guy is fixed on you like glue.

I wonder what you've done to deserve this?:).

You can't make a move, without him knowing it, and adding his two cents.

It's almost like an old disgarded lover harassing you .

Actually, I have " always" enjoyed all your postings,with their odd sense of humour and you've never treated anyone with disrespect and for this I say thank you to you.

Actually, Nout is pretty humourous as well.

More old European college debating, scholastic style.

Yor sense of humour is based more on life experience

C.

A

C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

Aw shucks, Claude. Thanks for the kind words and I love it here. I've always enjoy your input -- I've learned a lot from ya! And Nout's a hoot! Dig it! He's one my kinda peoples. Like you, he knows his accordions and music and we're all lucky enough that Joanie doesn't pull the plug on us. That would suck.

Okay, group hug... (no not like that!) It's da weekend! Go get your squeeze on!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

I love hugs.

Capt.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where is Glen ????????

well guys, and ladies too; i'll behave from now on - nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!