Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Savoy accordion on ebay

Just saw this on ebay if any is interested. Link #1

Re: Savoy accordion on ebay

hi david - dead link me think - nout

Looks like the link is not working. If you go to ebay homepage and search for cajun accordian. Notice spelling, "ian" instead of ion,it will pop up.

Link.

Just shorten the link to only include everything up to the item number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acadian-brand-handmade-cajun-accordian-with-case_W0QQitemZ280219809087

Re: Link.

what a beautiful accordion

Re: Re: Link.

I have one just like in D..with brass reed plates and mic'd internally I may sell soon..it is like new condition.

Re: Re: Re: Link.

I really think the brass reed plates, because of the density "sing" more nicely than aluminum. Very nice sound.

(but they are heavier)

DP

How come? must be a great accordion accordin to the description. Why does the seller not sell one of his others'?

Gus

Re: Re: Savoy accordion on ebay

Maybe his others are Martins

I have a brand new deluxe Acadian and a 10 year old Martin. I like them both, but the fact is, the Martin is MUCH better build quality.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Savoy accordion on ebay

Seen, tuned & fixed a few martins, Bon Cajuns, Acadians; but my pretty recent acadians are at least built as good as any, and all the acadians i heard sofar seem to have more of a band & cajunessque cutting sound, improving over the years too. Maybe why they sell at a higher price on ebay secondhand? PS my bon cajun is also very well built. In D and it's also the best sounding D accordion i heard sofar. Of course sound is a question of taste .... nout

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Maybe his others are Martins

I have a brand new deluxe Acadian and a 10 year old Martin. I like them both, but the fact is, the Martin is MUCH better build quality.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Savoy accordion on ebay

You are right about the Cajun sound of the Acadians.. Falcons are a very very close second. Martins honk and are very nice boxes.. and versatile for zydeco too..Acadians purrr.

I prefer the older .. up to mid-90's Acadians.. I have had a newer one in D that lacked punch and volume and was less solid.

Larry makes( made ) a great sounding box for sure.. find them a bit harder to handle ( heavier or somehow more clumsy for ME ).. but own two of his and love them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Savoy accordion on ebay

hi glenn, steering the balance from the left is what fails with bon cajuns, as how they're usually set up from the shop: too loose. - but the left hand strap has prefab adjustment holes at the bottom; one step tighter usually and the controllability is quite better - nout

Re: Savoy on Ebay ...differences?

I really don't quite understand why one hand-made LA accordion would handle better than another if the strap adjustments and the depth of the keyboard are the same. Sure, round plastic buttons feel different than the flat topped metal ones (I prefer the metal), springs of different gauge make the keys softer or harder to press, wood used for the frame affect the overall weight. The strap adjustments seems to be the big variable...large hands, small hands and such. Then there are the factors of different reeds, tunings, etc. What is it about the "workmanship" of an Acadian or a Bon Cajun or a Poullard or a Miller or a Falcon or a LeCapitaine or a Bon Tee etc that distinguishes one from another? (other than price)

I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Capt. E.

Re: Re: Savoy on Ebay ...differences?

Aye, maybe some one should start a scientific research on reed chamber sizes, type of reed block wood, the sealing of that and resonance properties ... also the age if it and dryness might play a role; older woods dry out longer, and are usually better for instruments, and quite more expensive too .... maybe a prayer or the use of holy water can help, or maybe the devil's water if it's an accordion -- PS i once heard some secrets about varnishes & sealing woods for fiddles etc., but promised to keep that within my head to my source ..... nout

Hey nout.. your observations are accurate-- Larry makes a mean box. I have some play on the left hand strap which makes it awkward..and exactly how you described it. I also have zebrawood box..and it fees a bit heavier..and the button action is slightly more spongey..BUT.. this is a lifetime use box with killer sound.. my hands are not versatile enough. The easiest box I've played are: Tommy's red Cajun C with lowered action .. a MARTIN.. and a Falcon AFTER the spring action had been modified ( softened ) by Jr. the new version was stiff..

again.. I am a crappy player but pass the test for being able to evaluate.. ( heck Hohner flew me up to evaluate their new models.. ).. and I used some pretty reliable criteria.. ( button action and height, stiffness or springs, noise factors, weight factors, responsiveness,button etc etc. )

ALL LA boxes are good for different reasons.. really.

Re: Re: Savoy accordion on ebay

Glenn, agree, are you heading to Saulieu in August? Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!