Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
De Fa Tras Cajun Fest this last Saturday...

My wife and I had a good time at the Cajun Fest this last Saturday. We got there about noon and left about 9pm. We enjoyed all three bands, danced about as much as we could, had our fill of gumbo, boudin, shrimp and crawfish. Of the three bands I liked Charles Thibodaux and the Cajun Aces best (I suppose I'm a bit prejudiced), though Ed Gary and Gary Betrand were close seconds. Hey, they were all good!

Ed Gary and Gary Betrand both had a steel guitar player. That does give a different sound.

Finally got to show Charles my LeCapitaine and he pronounced it a fine box. He's looking to buy a new one himself and was glad to try out a sample of Danny Dyson's work.

Re: De Fa Tras Cajun Fest this last Saturday...

John,
I knew you were there, just didn't know how to recognize you. We got there about 7:00 PM but had to work selling beer tickets from 8 to 9:30. I had on a black t-shirt and a red gimme cap. This was not a very well attended event, too much competition from Fiesta, Taste of New Orleans, etc, plus the contracted food guy did not show up,something about a death in the family in LA, so our own people had to throw somethin together real quick. Bands were OK. Missed Charles T; had to work during the day. Ed Gary had a new accordion player, again. Gary Bertrand sounded OK, but another funeral had his bass player missing. Two B flat-tuned bands back-to-back get a little monotonous, especially the singing.
Gonna work on making it better next year. I miss the gumbo cook-off, personally.
Stay in touch,
JB

Re: Re: De Fa Tras Cajun Fest this last Saturday...

the dance-floor wasn't that crowed. There were a few very "distinctive" dancers, especially the guy in red with the boots who stomped his way around the floor. I noticed there were several couples who seemed to dance almost every song for the entire 10 hours!!

Ed Gary's accordion player was a young guy from Lafayette, didn't catch his name. I talked with him a bit when they were through playing. He had only two boxes, a C and a D, one a very nice Falcon, played them well. Charles Thibodeax was the best band. I finally got a copy of his CD. His version of "Cafe' Chaud" is fabulous. Both Charles and Gary Betrand played "Kaplan Waltz" and Charles' version was sooo much better. His voice, his playing style, etc.

I was asking around for you earlier but no one had seen you. We left about 8pm, probably passed by you at the ticket booth. For next time: mid 50's, ALWAYS a hat, felt in winter, panama in summer, grey hair, glasses, 6 ft, beard. You're going to Folk-life fest, I assume. Maybe catch you there if not before.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!