Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hohner Panther reviews?

I'm debating buying one. I don't care about the key it comes in, just about what breaks on it within the first few months.

Any reviews?

Re: Hohner Panther reviews?

nothing breaks in the first few years. I haven't heard of anything breaking and they stay in tune! They get professional play time in the Latino music world. They are basically a Corona II with a plain wrapper. Glenn would be the best guy to ask though.

Re: Re: Hohner Panther reviews?

I've had mine for about one year. I play it maybe once every two weeks on average. It is still like a brand new one. Mine is in FBbEb (?) (or whichever key is used for Zydeco players). The only detail that bugs me a little is on the bass side, the button mechanism is kind of noisy.
Definitely a good value for the dollars involved.

Jim, I'm somewhat local (germantown md). If you would like to check out the Panther that would be fine. I could use a few pointers on the 1 row since I'm the only one I know with an accordion!

Re: Re: Hohner Panther reviews?

i;ve heard several of them
all GCF i think
they sound good, seem well made for the money
they are thin but on the other hand very bright and sharp, you might even like that

wle

Re: Re: Re: Hohner Panther reviews? ALSO Attn Craig

Thanks for the reviews guys. I'll probably buy one. I wonder, however if going through people on Ebay is wise. I wonder if different distributors have better quality than others.

Craig - You should come visit me sometime. I'm not driving at the moment, unfortunately. I give Cajun accordion lessons, if you're interested. 20 dollars for an hour. Also, I'd like to try out the panther

Jim

Do you have a Sam Ash store nearby?

Do you have a Sam Ash store nearby? I have seen the Panthers for sale at the one near where I live.

-David

Re: Do you have a Sam Ash store nearby?

Never heard of Sam Ash. The closest store that has anything accordion related is about an hour away at House of Musical Traditions. Over-priced and unfair trade ins.

made the purchase

Ok, so my disability back-pay was more substantial than I originally expected, so I ordered the Panther at a place for $385, and I know that sounds high, but there is free shipping. Also they are supposedly inspected by technicians, and they also are extremely knowledgeable about the accordions they sell.

PLUS, I've made a boat load of money busking down in Fells Point (one of the jobs my body can still handle), so I figured I'd treat myself.

anyone ever try putting rosin on the side of their 3 row fingerboards?

A thought just popped in my head. I'm so used to thumb straps with one rows, but don't want to get into the habit of using the one on the el-cheapo Panther (I also expect it will be too large, just like the HA114).

Another thought just came to me. I wonder if it would help keep my thumb stable if I put rosin on the side of the fingerboard. Maybe even a little reed wax (which is also composed of rosin)

What'dya think?

Re: anyone ever try putting rosin on the side of their 3 row fingerboards?

Hey Jim,
I have a 3 row Hohner, and when you have the double straps on, it gives the accordion plenty of support. I made the adjustment just fine, one row to 3 row, it should not be a problem for you at all. Good luck and have fun!
MarkS

Re: anyone ever try putting rosin on the side of their 3 row fingerboards?

You don't need a thumb strap on a triple row, and in fact most don't have them anyway. I recommend you avoid using it.

I don't know about the rosin idea - I suspect you will find you don't need anything like that.

Good luck and have fun! I love the triple row almost as much as the single row. Really, I can't imagine a gig and limiting myself to only one or the other.

-David

I removed the thumb strap so my hand could crab its way about. It seems some 3 row players seldom use their little finger and some use their thumb. I gotta use that pinky in order to hit the octaves cleanly.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!