Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Song "Redwing" b-part very similar to "High Point"

Looking up Hohner Panther on youtube and came across a song from a different genre that has a b-part with an uncanny resemblance to High Point Two-Step

See link above in Website Link 1

Re: Song "Redwing" b-part very similar to "High Point"

Hey Jim,
Redwing is an old song I heard a lot when I was young from music jams at my relatives house, my dad and several others would gather around and play music, Redwing was one of them I remember. When I purchased Dirk's Vhs lesson, I had the same expression, wow, I have heard this before. Does anyone know the history of The High Point 2-Step?
MarkS

Re: Re: Song "Redwing" b-part very similar to "High Point"

First thing I noticed when I played the Powell CD was the similarity of the melodies. That to me made it easy to learn. I think 'Redwing' was an old Bob Wills number, but I'm not sure. If so,it's reasonable to say that there is probably more than one Cajun song that gets a little help from the C & W side of the family.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Song "Redwing" b-part very similar to "High Point"

...or maybe the C&W song is getting help from a Cajun song?

We don't know the history of the "High Point," so we don't really know which is borrowing from which.

Amede Ardoin's song Tortope D'Osrun (Two Step de Osson) sounds like the origin of High Point Two Step. I don't believe it was called High Point until Steve Riley's 1990 album, recent history.

Or maybe it was cosmically borrowed....

The high-point two-step was done before SRMP, but I can't remember who it was. I am thinking it was either Cheese Reed or Hadley Fontenot. By the way, it is basically, not exactly, the Kaplan Waltz played as a two-step.

I know Redwing goes way back...it was popularized in
the 30's or 40's by the labor movement as the tune for
"Union Maid"...I used to play it on the harmonica all
the time when I was a kid.

I just realized that we all kinda addressed the High-Point and not Redwind because we are more familiar with High-Point.

I also play Redwing on guitar. The music was written in 1907 by Kerry Mills and the lyrics by Thurland Chattaway. It is a really cool song and Vince Gill, Marty Stuart and Johnny Gimble really burn it up in the tribute to Bob Wills.

Red Wing can trace its roots to Dixieland Jazz also. Bluegrassers have been playing it for years. This thread got me interested to see if I could take my Martin and play it like I do on the banjo. Bruce

Hot Dog I got it figured out!!!!!!!! Had to run through it with my daughter a few times on the banjo so she could play guitar, then swapped to the key of D and broke out the accordion Bruce

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!