Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swallow Accordion

There's was a new unsold one sitting in Floyd's Record shop in Ville Platte yesterday. He only uses natural unstained wood and makes four a year. This one is curly maple. The $1600 price tag seems like a bargain for the way it plays. Very tempting...

Re: Swallow Accordion

I think Cecil makes those...but I thought he made about
8-10 per year..maybe slowed down. Never played one,
but heard good reports on this site a couple of years ago

Re: Re: Swallow Accordion

Man I thought for sure this was a thread about how to swallow an accordion. But Joe is correct, Cecil Fontenot at Floyd's Records makes them right there in the back of the store. Great guy -- one of the nicest guys I've met on many a jettisons through Acadiana. I pulled on one of his Swallows once. Good quality and sound. Sounds like a reasonable price.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Swallow Accordion

My Bb is a Swallow. Cecil made it three years ago. I didn't buy mine from him, but from a Pawn shop on Ebay. Compared to my Bon Cajun and Acadian, I would say the craftmanship is a little less sophisticated. In terms of playability, it is not as fun to play, but I think that has more to do with the fact that a Bb is much lower in tone, therefore consumes more air, and therefore is less air tight. That aspect aside, I find the action to be harder (perhaps du to stronger button springs?). But overall, it's a fine box.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Swallow Accordion

hi Maz .. sounds like a few adjustments could turn it in to a great playing one .. if you'd ever get to Holland, bring it, i'll set her up for you .. nout

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swallow Accordion

What would you do to it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swallow Accordion

Well, it seems you need to slacken the springs a little - one of the reasons Louisianians are so much better: you can do this fairly easy by inserting a bit of space between two turns (don't do this at the wrong place though) or replace them with a different gauge. - and to access them you have to take the key board off the sound board, not very difficult to do - but as always: not everybody is a handyman, and f.i. ruin a philips head screw by using a non properly fitting screwdriver etc. - so you can do it yourself. use quality small pliers, cutters (spring steel is tough) , have some proper glue at hand if a spring's attachment nail pops loose.
- i've been messing around with spring tensions a lot, and feel it's very personal what's right for you. - tip: to measure you could create an adjustable weight with a tubish holder with washers. I do it by feel, but if your motoric sense & feel is rough (as in if you were the kid back then who could even break a Tonka toycar) don't do it at all your self, some constructional parts are pretty delicate with an accordion. - I like springs set pretty light but not too light; lighter is important when you play with your fingers flat, in combination with rounded buttons; if you as i do, like to slide sideways to the next button - too light will make either your flappers not sealing good enough, and also harder to play one note triplets. - Tip 2: i set up one accordion pretty tough, almost as a new Martin, for practising your finger's strenghth at times - nout

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swallow Accordion

THanks... I might try it when I have time and feel like a handyman. ;-)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!