Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.

Hello Braves,

For those braves lucky enough to have attended this
year's Balfa Heritage week, how did it go for you?

What did you like the most? The least? (Besides
having to return home!)

We've just returned home and am just beginning to sort
it all out!

I wish I could have cloned myself so that I could
have taken all the classes & sessions offered

--Big Nick

Re: Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.

I enjoyed every minute of every day, and that's a lot of minutes since sleep is greatly devalued!

The staff, the instruction, the performances, the dances, the food, the accommodations, the setting were all top-notch. The clear winner for "best" for me, though, is the people that I met and shared good times, drinks, dances, and music with. And that includes the staff, the instructors, the campers, and various people I met that live thereabouts. They were stellar, and I hope to remain friends for life with them all.

Worst? Now THAT'S a tough one, just because I'd have to look hard to find it. I guess it would be more a suggestion for improvement, not a complaint: have a more cohesive instructional program. For instance, thoroughly explain the function of jams and how to conduct yourself in them; how to "second"; how to rate your skill level and therefore better know your role in a jam. Apart from jam related stuff, have a syllabus and goals for your instructional classes, and a primer for how to get the most out of your one-on-one. I'd also like to get more broken down into fine increments, progressive dance instructions. Again, all these things were great and I'm only mentioning ways they might improve. Most things there could not be improved; they are already magnificent.

Award for coolest instructor: Oh man that would be tough. I'll give it to Dirk and Christine in tandem, since they were both so great. What a couple.

Best accordion camper? Jed Bellot from Port Arthur, hands down. Man, that guy can play! I have an image of him playing at the late, late jam on Thursday that's burned into my brain forever. He was smokin' good, and he's a cool guy to boot.

Best performance? That's a tough one, too. None of them were less than spectacular. But I'll have to give it to Bonsoir Catlin. They have such a rollicking dance-hall style, though Balfa Toujours, Steve Riley, and Red Stick Ramblers were right there with them. Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're all drop-dead gorgeous (excepting maybe Dirk - sorry, I'm just not attracted to him in that way) And the Savoy family brought tears of joy to my eyes with their twin fiddling and accordion on the 2-Step Amede.

Bottom line: GO! GO NOW! (well, next year)

Best to all, Jamey Hall

Re: Re: Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.

Folks, I hope some of you will share pictures and video clips? How are the new cottages they just built?

Jamey - I didn't go this year, but I had a wonderful time last year. I found Todd Mouton, the Executive Director of Louisiana Folk Roots, to be very approachable. You could probably copy and paste some of your suggestions into an email to M. Todd and I'm sure he give them due consideration. Although attaining much predictability and cohesion in the instructional "regimen" shared by such musical talents might resemble herding cats

Steve Blais

Re: Re: Re: Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.

I spent a couple mornings there on the flex plan. The instruction, I can't say what class, was worth every cent. It was great meeting musicians from all over the country and the world. The cabin jam I attended is still ringing my ears. With so many musicians from so many places, we bring a lot to share.

The problem that Christine shared with me that needs a solution is environmental management. How can the massive amount of paper plates and cups be effectively eliminated? You'll probably see me washing dishes next year.

Janet

Re: Re: Re: Re: Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.

You solve the paper plate and cup problem the way the Sierra Club does with large group camps...everybody brings their own and washes it after each use. You set up a wash station with soapy water, bleach dip and rinse. You just walk through and wash your utensils for next meal. Easy as pie.

Capt. E.

I forgot to mention Best Band at the band lab performance on Thursday: Big Nick and Christine Guidry Law's band, no question. They started acapella, with Christine's vocals leading the way, then kicked in the instrumentation. Big Nick seems more like an instructor than a camper, given his level of playing ability. He modulated the tune a couple of times to the enthusiastic crowd's delight. Very nice accordion playing. Very nice. Unforced, smooth, laid-back, and solid. He and Jed Bellot are two of the "students" that I want to schedule for one-on-ones next year.

-Jamey

Re: Re: Re: Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.

I have GOT to go next year. I'll send my wife and her best friend to a spa. I am sooo envious of you Jamey and your first experience. Wish I had been there with you and all the other campers.
Maybe I'll have my D or A box by then.
Capt. E.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!