Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds!

I always read , on this board, how good, some

recently purchased box,second hand or new, sounds!.

I'm sure that accordions, in terms of the sounds that they emit when being played, can be slightly different then others, of the same style.

Micings, tuning, recording, different makers etc!, obviously do play important parts, in the resulting sounds.

But what, about a 3 rows sounding more "Bluesy", then other 3 rows?, that is, you know,having that elusive, but so characteristic blues sounding?

A few years ago, while perusing, trough the internet, I came across, a guitar re-seller,in the US, "ONlY" selling,to Blues musicians, vintage instruments, with that diatinctive "Blues" sound.

As you know, you can retune a one row reeds to sound Cajun.

But, what about, a 3 rows and a blues sound?.

Is there that much sound difference,amongst 3 rows of different makes?.

Sorry, I'm trying to make it simple .

C.

Re: 3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds!

I believe so. The Jazz tuned ones have a certain bluesiness to them. I think the Hohner IIIR sounds more blusey than, say a Gabb.

Re: Re: 3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds!

Do you have two, three, four banks of reeds?
MM, MMM, MML, MMML, MMHL etc all these combinations produce a different sound. Try playing each bank on you LA box separately, one at a time, two together, different combinations, MM, ML, MH, HL, MML, MMH, MHL, the other MHL : All different sounds. Then there is the FACT that different brands and models of reeds just sound different. Bincis are different than Salpas, are different that new Hohners, old Hohners, machine made? Hand made? aluminum reed blocks, copper reed blocks, brass reed blocks, even brass reeds instead of steel....

AS you can see, different accordions can produce an astonishing range of sound. I will play my LeCapitaine for one kind of music, my Lachenal concertina for English dance and Irish, my old Hohner two row A/D for other stuff (a good blues box). Then there are my harmonicas and Penny whistles. It's all wonderful

Capt. E

You need, to learn, how to, write, without using, so many, commas.

Re: Re: 3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds! Punctuate it co-rect-lee

Oh, I'm, So, So, Sorry! Maybe it would be better if I use none at all anywhere anytime in everthing I write from now on and forever but it is the internet and you bring up the topic of whether proper punctuation and spelling is important here or whether YOU Cn rite N E THNG @ ALL w/ no rls @ all.

Re: Re: Re: 3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds! Punctuate it co-rect-lee

Johnny,

Mr. Augustinsky is a lawyer and as such has this notion that he's superior and oh so much more intelligent and educated then most of us commun mortals.

And he's full of it when he said that his comments were " tongue in cheek" as they were in fact very condescending and elitist in nature and a full dressing down.

But he was correct, in his punctuation assesment, and I've to to try, to do better, when I write, although English is my second "langue".
But again, Mr. Augustinsky is the " Perfect" being.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds! Punctuate it co-rect-lee

Yes, I really didn't mean to be rude. He is correct. I write fiction as well as play music. I've a 120,000 word historical novel in the middle of re-writes. Inappropriate commas are something I consistently have to edit. I was being lazy above.

I have to admit, sloppy writing on the internet is a bad trend.

Capt. E

By the way, don't call me Johnny...I HATE IT. Now you know one of my secrets.

My comment (which was somewhat tongue in cheek) was directed at Claude, the original poster, not Capt. Everett.

Hmmm. I do know I am guilty of that as well. Two in one!

Capt

,,,::;;,,,.

Hey, don't forget
:::::::::::::::::: and ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

ain't school fun?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!