Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another recording on the 'F' Bon Temps

Ever since I first heard Marc Savoy's "Made in Louisiana" a few years ago, I knew that I NEEDED an 'F' accordion.

The sound of waltzes reminds me of a carousel.

Playing this thing makes me hungry for cotton candy.

True, this is not a typical Cajun sound, but it's the most appealing style I want to emulate. I want to revamp what I'm doing, big time.

I forgot to mention, this accordion is tuned 10 cents wet. It gives it the nice 'zing'

The link to the recording is next to "website link #1"

If you have Vista, you may have to refresh a few times for it to show up. Yet another downside to Vista. Keep on counting the cons with this Op. system

Re: Another recording on the 'F' Bon Temps

that is spooky-nice sounding!

peace

Re: Re: Another recording on the 'F' Bon Temps

HI JIM STOP SORRY MY LAPTOP ONLY PUTS OUT CAPITALS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE OF YOUR MUSIC STOP COMPLIMENTS STOP ! STOP BUT IT FITS THE GOINGS ON STOP AND NOW I'M ANXIOUSLY AWAITING YOUR FIRST F ACCORDION CD TO HIT IT BIG STOP MY KIND OF MUSIC STOP KEEP IT COMING STOP NOUT PS STOP CAROUSEL OR MERRY GO ROUND WHATEVER IT FITS SORT OF STOP DON'T LET YOURSELF BE INSULTED STOP DOT DOT DOT DOT DOT

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

that is spooky-nice sounding!

peace

That is just awesome sounding! Put a two-step up and lets hear it. Bruce

two-step

Bruce, the top link is a two step with the F accordion. Link 2 is one done on my Hohner that I Cajun tuned and also tuned 5 cents wet.....

NOUT- FIX YOUR COMPUTER STOP I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW HARD IT WAS TO READ IN CAPS STOP

Nout, why don't you ever sign on to your myspace? We gotta change that right now!!!! I think I even sent you a friend request some time ago.

Re: two-step

JIM TO FIX MY COMPUTER PLEASE PLAY SOMETHING AWFUL -NOUT

Replying to:

Bruce, the top link is a two step with the F accordion. Link 2 is one done on my Hohner that I Cajun tuned and also tuned 5 cents wet.....

NOUT- FIX YOUR COMPUTER STOP I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW HARD IT WAS TO READ IN CAPS STOP

Nout, why don't you ever sign on to your myspace? We gotta change that right now!!!! I think I even sent you a friend request some time ago.

Re: two-step

Jim, as for my space, in holland or for me it somehow doesn't work properly, long delays, upload crashes etc., maybe caused by their cookie policies etc. - and as such i wasn't even able to kick my "friend" Tom off my front porch - nout

That thing really rocks makes me want an F now!!!!!

Re: Re: Another recording on the 'F' Bon Temps

That high tone should carry well in the dance hall and blend nicely with fiddles. Add a singer with a high voice and it could make you cry.

Capt. E

Re: Re: Re: Another recording on the 'F' Bon Temps

hey man, save us; that's not even allowed by the union - us fiddlers already have a tough job with them abundancy of C accordionists; no wonder the Hackberry Ramblers kicked the accordions out back then - nout

Replying to:

That high tone should carry well in the dance hall and blend nicely with fiddles. Add a singer with a high voice and it could make you cry.

Capt. E

keys schmees

As much as I love every key Cajun accordion, I almost nauseous playing nothing but a 'C' accordion for 2 years in the beginning of my playing. When I got my 'D' accordion 4 years ago, I just wanted to keep trying new keys.

As blasphemous as this sounds, I don't really playing on a 'C' accordion at all! It's my least favorite key (by my ears), but what can you do? Many people are "Caged in with a 'C' accordion in Cajun".

If someone brings a 'D' accordion to (some) jams, you may get some eyes rolling. Bring an 'F' accordion to a jam and people start vomiting profusely!

Or more realistically, you might get in one or two songs with your most favorite accordions, and that's all she wrote.

So many styles of music are like this. To hell with vocal range, learn to sing! I'm not even a great vocalist, but I can sing in almost every key (depending on the octave of a given key).

And as far as fiddlers go, take lessons from Joel Savoy and you'll see that most every key is possible!

It's also crazy when "jam guitarists" don't know an E chord, an F chord, or a minor chord, even a 7th chord.

There is a point where a capo aint gonna do your guitar justice as well! Learn some new chords, I promise you'll be a better guitar player!

Re: keys schmees

Yes, learn to sing.

Part of learning to sing is to understand what your vocal range is. You can work on expanding it, but whatever it is, if you go outside of it, the results will not be pretty. I learned this the hard way...

Re: Re: keys schmees

I doubt we are talking about key "schmees!"

...and part of the reality to being an accordion player is the expectation to sing

(See my post on David's vocal thread.)

It looks really silly to be the centerpiece of a C/Z band and having the guitarist or drummer, or some other auxillary band member doing all the vocals. Having some confidence and a lil' bit-o-entertainment value can make even the most questionable of singers sound decent.

~R!CK

Re: keys schmees

When I discovered open D tuning, the guitar became very exciting and easier to play, but yes, learn chords! E, D, A, A7, G, C D7, E7, etc. They aren't that hard, especially the simple forms. (well, I find a B chord a *******

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!