Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some odds and ends about signing and vocal ranges.

In a previous thread, we were discussing different voice ranges and how that plays into the choice of accordion key.

I thought I would expand on that topic a little. In particular, what are the delineations of vocal ranges for male singers, and what are the percentages of people in the different categories.

I found a number of interesting references on the net. The site on web link #1 has tons of information on a wide variety of topics related to singing.

Below is an excerpt from a website that defines the range and characteristics of a tenor, bass and baritone. There is a lot of interesting information there. Note that the bass range tops out at E above middle C, and that baritone goes to F. These are generalities of course.

I did not find any references as to percentages for each voice type, although I have heard many times that baritones are the most common, followed by tenor and bass. I asked my voice teacher about it, and he estimates that 50% are baritone, and 25% each for tenor and bass.

The topic of voice registration is an important one. It takes training to be able to make the transition from chest voice (our normal speaking voice) to the middle and head voice. Head voice is not a naturally occurring thing, but without it, it is very common to "reach" or strain on the high notes. This feels bad, and sounds bad. What is happening is that there is a tendency for heaviness of chest voice to be carried up into the higher notes. This can actually cause permanent damage and require career ending surgery.

My voice category is baritone, so going by the chart below, it would seem that F is well within my range. That is true, but it took a while to learn how to do it with head voice. (I can't really claim to have totally mastered it, as I often lapse back into old, bad habits).

-David

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Highest range of the dudes: Tenor

Thanks to the Three Tenors, The Irish Tenors, and even Three Mo' Tenors, you probably have a good idea of what a tenor sounds like.

* Range: The tenor range is about two octaves with many singing a little lower than C (second space in bass clef) and a little higher than the male High C (third space treble clef).

* Register: The tenor voice doesn't make a huge transition from his lower voice to his middle voice. His transition into his middle voice occurs around Middle C (or the E just above Middle C) and then a transition into head voice around F-sharp or G above Middle C.

* Strength: The tenor's strength is his head voice.

* Voice tone: The tenor voice is usually bright and ringing.

* Weakness: His weakness is often his lower voice.

* Subdivisions: In the musical-theater world, a subdivision of the tenor, called the bari/tenor, reigns. This voice type is someone with the power to project in the middle voice and the higher ringing money notes of the tenor. The other voice type that you frequently hear of in the opera world is the countertenor — a male singer who sounds like a female. This voice type sings in the same range as the mezzo (sometimes soprano) and sounds similar. When you've heard the countertenor singing enough, you can distinguish him from a mezzo. Until then, just enjoy the unique quality that these gentlemen bring to the singing world.

* Common Performance Roles: The tenor is almost always the lead, winning the girl at the end of the show. Examples include Rodolfo in La Bohème, Don José in Carmen, Tony in West Side Story, Billy in Chicago, and Rolf in The Sound of Music.

* Naming Names: Famous tenors you may know include Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, and José Carreras, whom you may recognize as the Three Tenors, as well as John Denver, Enrico Caruso, Daniel Rodriguez (the Singing Cop), Elton John, and Stevie Wonder.

He's so low: Bass

Bass is the lowest of the voice types. The bass is the guy that sings all the cool low notes in the barbershop quartet.

* Range: His range is usually F (below the bass clef staff) to E (first line treble clef) but can be as wide as E-flat to F.

* Register transitions: The bass changes from chest voice into middle voice around A or A-flat just below Middle C and changes into head voice around D or D-flat just above Middle C.

* Strength: His low voice is his strength.

* Voice tone: His voice is the deepest, darkest, and heaviest of the male voices.

* Weakness: His high voice is his weakness.

* Subdivisions: Filling in the middle between tenor and bass is the baritone. The baritone can usually sing from an A (first space bass clef) or F (first space treble clef) below the male High C. The bass-baritone has some height of the baritone and some depth of the bass and his range is usually A-flat (first space bass clef) to F (first space treble clef) and sometimes as high as G below the male High C. The baritone's register transitions usually occur at the A or B just below Middle C and the D or E above Middle C.

* Common Performance Roles: The bass or baritone is often the villain, father, or older man. Examples include Ramfis in Aïda, the Mikado in The Mikado, and Jud Fry in Oklahoma! Some exceptions to this villain image are King Arthur in Camelot, Porgy in Porgy and Bess, and the Toreador in Carmen.

* Naming Names: Famous basses you may know include Samuel Ramey, James Morris, José Van Dam, Tennessee Ernie Ford, and Barry White.

Re: Some odds and ends about SINGING and vocal ranges.

oops!

Re: Re: Some odds and ends about SINGING and vocal ranges.

Blimey, we just call such a event, holy Mozes ! Oops, this is more appropriate when you fall of a barstool while trying to keep the contents of a full pint o' porter within its natural well meant boundaries. Now he's telling. I'll keep me singing for me personal bathtub, in case i might offend anybody else. Mickrick O'Foole.

Re: Re: Re: Some odds and ends about SIGNING and vocal ranges.

I really don't like signing anything I haven't read. And you provided plenty to read! I like the humor in it and thought about guys like Ivy Dugas and Bruce Daigrepont while reading the descriptions. Great singers with some vocal quality, if ya know where I'm coming from.

I know I keep-ah-preachin' this, but if any of you can sing doramifasolatido, you can find *something* to sing in every key. It just depends on the position of the notes that are played on your box and if you are playing a song that is on the push more -- or draw more. I think a lot of players get scared when a tune is played on an accordion other than a C. Honestly, C is not the easiest accordion to croon along with.

What makes things cool is if you can find a way to sing a tune using the harmony version/part of a well-established song. It may be a step lower or higher depending on your voice, but this is a good place to start if you find yourself not being able to hit the standard melody in the established key you're playing in. I'm not suggesting singing the harmony part per se, I'm suggesting "flattening out" the melody to fit -- and "rocking it up" a bit. Toups is a master at this and it works like a charm. Sure it may seem a bit stylized, but if you can deliver it, you just drive it home with some emotion... And you don't need a schooled voice to do it.

It's a beautiful thang,

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some odds and ends about SIGNING and vocal ranges.

Well now, to leave me bathtub and do me singing out in the open, are ya daft? That's a rocky road towards misfortune and capital mayhem for any decent specimen of the humankind around, i tell ya. I will not be held responsible; seriously, i seen rats and mice leave the house at such a formerly well meant occasion. Sunday morning and right before Church that was, and fo'sure they 's all a crying too i tell ya'. Mickrick

Singing in all keys... here's a test

First of all, Mickrick, they are only after ye Lucky Charms, lad.

Okay...

Wanna see if you can sing in any other key other than a C accordion?

If you can't find a box in the key you're considering, find a keyboard or a piano. Hopefully you know what notes correspond to what key. I'm not going to explain that here.

Push an ivory and then hum the harmony, alternating your voice up, like the Three Stooges did when they sang, "Helloooo ... Helloooo... Hellooo..."

If you can do a few of these "hellos", then you can sing in another key, and probably several keys.

This is how I write melodies to songs. If I hear a hooky doodah in my head, I'll pick a key, strap on the box, pull (or push) the frogs, and hum the harmonies up to where I think it should be. If that box ain't it, I pick up the next one (higher or lower) and try it again.

Avast ye! It works like me lucky charm!

~TR!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!