Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording

There is cut on the 'Allons Boire un Coups' cd that just strikes me as being so well done called 'Mon Bon Vieux Mari' with Anna Laura Edmiston in lead vocal.

I just found this tune by Cleoma and Joe Falcon called 'La Vieux Soulard et sa femme'. I had never it before.

What a great little tune. Go to link #1.

peace

Re: Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording

Oh, legends in Cajun music. The first to record Cajun music. Their photo is on the cover of Ann Savoy's book.

Re: Re: Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording

Hi Captain!

I knew Joe and Cleoma, just had never heard the source original that Laura did for her recording.

peace

Don't forget also this tune by Dewey Balfa/Marc Savoy/D.L. Menard (En bas du chêne vert).
Marc.

En Bas du chen vert is one of my favorite waltz' Lovely song and pretty easy to play.

Capt. E

It's been recorded by a few. From what I've heard, it apparently is a song that borrowed from an Appalachian song, and was Cajunized.

My favorite version is DL Menard and Dewey Balfa on "Les Sacalaits Sont Pas Salé".

If you like Cleoma's style, and that olde tyme vibe, check out the duo, "Cleoma's Ghost":

http://www.ulster.net/~chirodude/cleoma/

Roger is a contributor on this board and a mighty fine artist.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording

I agree with dat. There is some talent up there in them Adirondack hills.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording

The word 'Soulard' means 'Drukard', correct?
'The Old Drunkard and his Wife'?
This is another one of those Cajun words that the modern SF translator doesn't know what to do with.
Thought it might be a relative of 'Soused', but that doesn't seem to be the case, either.
The On-Line translators may have a few gaps, but it beats being completely in the dark.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording

JB, the Reverend Daigle Cajun French /English dictionary will take away all your lyric translation woes (or many of them anyway)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!