Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G

Got me a G Hohner from the early 1980's

The thing was badly out of tune, not to mention NOT Cajun tuned, as all HA114s are expected.

I spent a good 10 hours straight with only a pee break retuning and cleaning it, raised the buttons, etc. After Cajun tuning it and lowering the mid back to 5 cents wet, I found that just about the rest of the reeds were out of tune to begin with, so I basically tuned ever reed in the thing.

At first it kind of had a dull sound and I was a little disappointed, but after having played it a good 2 hours, the sound came to life.

It is so hard to work with wax and ventille on the two inner sets of reeds. Since these blocks both stand up, it is a real trip working on them.

Luckily I have a whole set of Salpa reeds I've been using the leathers from. I was also lucky to have reeds from an older (non playable) G Hohner. I used the bass/chord reeds from it.

Anyway, I'll post a recording of the newly reworked G Hohner ASAP

Jim

Re: Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G

Hey Jim, let us know when you get the Panther. As a quick study, it shouldn't take you long to post some 3 row sounds!

Re: Re: Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G

Boy, you're getting into heavy mechanics!

Re: Re: Re: Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G

Got the Panther, and it's really different! Gotta work on that big time

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G

There is an older style 114 up on ebay right now in G. Almost like new in the box. See Link #1
Don't see these too often.

Capt. E

Re: Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=fhOj9vCR0cQ

not exactly Cajun, but I love the sound (Hohner 114 in G)

cheers, Peer.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!