Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun Guitar Players?

Hello Braves!

I know this is a stretch .. (especially since this is an accordion forum)
but, would anyone know of an available Cajun Rhythm Guitar player in the
South-Eastern Wisconsin area that would like to do some gigging?

(Or, where to locate one?)

I’m kicking around the idea of starting a duo or trio, but I’ll be darned
if I can locate a guitarist that is .. harrumph .. sympathetic to the genre of
Cajun Music in my neck o’ the woods!

Merci beaucoup!

--Big Nick

Re: Cajun Guitar Players?

You might try contacting the band, "Copper Box". They might be a good link up there in WI.

http://www.copperboxsite.com/

R!CK

Re: Re: Cajun Guitar Players?

Thanks, R!ck ..

I know them, but haven't thought about asking them

--Big

I've always had to grow my own guitarists and I've had some very fortunate success with doing that. I think most C/Z bands outside the golden triangle are faced with this farming method -- and it's not limited to just guitarists -- in my case, it's always been the entire band.

I'm a very lucky guy to have the Zydeco Stingrays backing me. One of the coolest things IS the fact that none of them had ever played C/Z music before meeting me, nor do they consume C/Z recordings on a regular basis. This keeps their personal influences in tact, and the entire vibe fresh. This is a very good thing because it allows me to express myself in my songwriting with textures beyond what's expected. Plus the fact that I can pop in a CD and play a tune from any genre, and they can nail the groove like a ball-ping hammer. I never take my band's talent level for granted. I'm very proud of these guys and am glad they don't sit and soak in all things Louisianne like myself!

Growing your own band... It's a good thing...

R!CK

I have had similar dilemmas in the past. It's tough because good guitar players expect to be the center of attention, and it just isn't like that with the music we like.

One thing I have done is to find someone who has a genuine interest, but perhaps not as much experience as I would like, and then "grow" them into the job. After all, we don't need guitar virtuosity - we need enthusiasm and a groove! I have done this with guitar players and bass players.

The only problem I have had with the above approach is that once I get someone all trained up, they get snapped up by the other bands! I can understand that, since I am not able to offer enough work to demand an exclusive arrangement with anyone. It is frustrating though.

-David

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are reading my mind

It would not have to be a virtuoso, but someone who
has a passion for the music and is willing to work
at it.

It's funny .. it would seem to be an easy thing to
find .. but it ain't!

--Big

Re: Re: Re: Cajun Guitar Players?

You guys made my day! I love to play guitar in cajun
jams..mainly because I can't play the box too well..lol.
If you are ever in the PAC NW, give be a buzz..

This could this explain why women in Cajan (yeah "Cajan") were relagated to playing the guitar. It could be you are overlooking the guitar player you need.

Janet

Unfortunately most of the classified ads of guitarists looking for bands are guys. Of course most of these guys are responsible, drug-free, and have no egos, too. Ha. And the only women guitarists seeking bands want to form the next all-chick band. I'd love to have a gyal in de band! But we guys fart and talk about sports... and... other women. It would take a very special woman to put up with a combo of knuckle-headed boys that haven't outgrown their toys!

It's a very cool idea, just wish more were available to audition... the audience would truly dig it!

R!CK

I'm good to go...

I love playing Cajun-style guitar. I play in straight tuning or a big open G. Whenever you are on the left coast, I'll back you up. No disappointments, let'r rip... -L-

Wisconsin? Where is that anyway? Do you live near Favreville? :- )

Tq

Re: I'm good to go...

Tom,

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it some
day

Wisconsin? It's a subdivision of Chicago!

--Big

Nick, send me an email, I've got some info for you.

Thanks, Chuck.

Maybe you can tap into the Old Time community. Stylewise, there is a 'kissing cousin' relationship, and guitarists in that genre usually know the importance of rhythm and groove. And, unlike a lot of guitarists with a Rock background, won't get antsy and feel like they're got to throw in some monster lick. It's like when they try some R&B - they don't get 'the groove'.

Steve

Tom, if we weren't 1000 miles apart, I'd stir up some dust with you!

Hi Ganey,

Thanks for your response. I'd take you up on your
offer in a heartbeat if I didn't live in the "Great
White North"!

(Y'know, when we had returned to MKE from Chicot, the
temperature was 50 DEGREES COLDER in WI! Yikes!)

--Biggeroo

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!