Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gettin' Another Martin!

I was set on getting a Dino Baffetti triple row. I posted a while back about what keys to get. Junior Martin's grandson Joel has one and I asked to try it out. Well I did and I couldn't get it to sound as good as Joel did . . . must have been something with the accordion

Well I decided that I better get a Martin D to go with my Martin Bb. I'm getting the curly maple with the cherry stain, it has an orangy tint to it that looks really cool. The box will be wet & dry (push one stop down for dry) just like my Bb. Nathan Williams Jr has one being made right now just like it, that's where I got the color from, except mine has all black face plates, black stops and black & black bellows.

While I was there, Dwayne Doopsie stopped in, pretty nice guy. Time before that Joel Sonnier & Anthony Doopsie stopped in. you never know who you'll see at Juniors.

Re: Gettin' Another Martin!

Put one stop down and is that really called dry? I always thought the degree of wet or dry is determined by how close or far apart the middle reeds are tuned. What is it called when you have only one middle reed sounding? I guess it does sound dry as a bone.

Sure wish I lived close enough to SW LA to drop in on people like that. Of course, Austin has its places where you can drop in and jaw a while, but they aren't of the Cajun variety. Lot's of bluegrass, country, tejano, blues, and good ol' singer/songwriter types.

Capt. E.

Re: Re: Gettin' Another Martin!

Bought a wet tuned Bon Cajun recently, 2nd register 15 cents up. didn't like it a lot, and tuned it almost dry now, maybe 3 cents wet. If you push the 2nd stop down about 3mm, the 2nd bank will still sound, but dry. And when needed you can put in a little dirt by pulling the stop up again. nout

Re: Re: Re: Gettin' Another Martin!

Oh, hadn't thought about pushing the 2nd stop in part-way..

Capt. E

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gettin' Another Martin!

Tony

Ever had a D accordion? I love that key. I definately like E and F better, but they aren't heard much at jams, if ever!

Re: Gettin' Another Martin!

With already having a Bb, I wanted to get a key that was further away from the key I have and alot of stuff gets played in D.

Gonna have Jr put an internal mic in my Bb while I'm at it, gonna get that zydeco sound fo sho.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!