Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

I am constantly reminded that immersion is inclussive of many styles. While I am somewhat a "died in the wool traditionalist" there is so much more that goes into the mix to be considered.

Perhaps for a lack of extensive "TRAPS" (back in the day), there was a rythmic part of many Traditional and Zydeco arrangements that was known as DOUBLE CLUTCHIN'

Who (of those here) knows this double clutchin sound?
Who uses it (of those that gig).

I know the Lost Bayou Ramblers incorporate the kick drum and snare for an old time double clutchin sound and it is (for me) a treat to hear the throw back.

As for the prolific style: That was your mother (Paul Simon - Graceland)

Thoughts?

Re: An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

"Double clutch" is a reference to modern zydeco and not traditional Creole or Cajun music. The term is used to describe the modern zydeco double-kick (drum) beat. If it existed back in la-la days, I would be very surprised -- outside of perhaps describing a dance or automotive transmission, that is.

It is prolific, I suppose, since it has made its mark in the modern zydeco sound. But I think it will soon play itself out to some degree, as hip-hop, soul, and pop beats are increasingly fusing into zydeco by the majority of the artists in that genre.

R!CK

Re: Re: An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

I think you are right about the double clutch beat getting played out eventually, and in fact it has already happened. I have seen evidence of that a few years ago at the Gator By The Bay festival in San Diego. This was 4 or 5 years ago, and they had a truly awesome lineup of zydeco bands, with a heavy emphasis on the Houston side of contemporary zydeco. One of the bands was Noonie and the Floaters. I don't think that they used the double clutch beat in even one song. And in general, among all the bands there that weekend, that beat was not as prevalent as it would be with say, Keith Frank. That was surprising to me at the time, but the trend continues.

-David

Re: Re: An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

Okay, a little confused here. Don't think you're talking about double bass drums. A particular beat? Examples?

-Steve

Re: Re: Re: An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

Steve,
It's not a double kick drum set - just one.
The double clutchin beat is played on the 1 and the 3, but instead of just one kick, it's two in quick succession. It sounds kind of like a heart beat. Listen to some early Keith Frank. He has it WAY high in the mix.
Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

Ah, thanks. I know the beat well, but never associated it with the name. Guess the most 'in your face' example would be the intro to Keith Frank's Sweet Pea - just kick and vocals.

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style

...And then there's Chris Ardoin & Double Clutchin'... they weren't called that fer nuttin'! Check out their first 2 CDs... full-up dance joints.

It's my edgeumacated opinion that the double-clutch beat was absolutely invented for the single-row box. It sounds alright with the 3-row, but it's the single that rides on top of the beat best.

I ain't playin'. Check it n' see 4 U sef.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!