Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steve Riley video - "ring finger bounce"

This technique is near the beginning on his first instructional DVD. Has anyone else here tried it, and did you have as much trouble as me with it? I can do it, and it's getting easier with practice, of course - but it ain't easy! Any tips?

And then comes the ring finger triplett(?)/trill(?) . . .

Re: Steve Riley video - "ring finger bounce"

I actually find the ring finger bounce a bit easier than the index finger. Triplets starting with the ring finger seem natural to me. If you want a challenge, try the pinky bounce! I find my whole hand moving.

Capt. E

More power to you Cap'n, but the ring finger for me is weak. Pinky finger? Fuggitaboutit! At least for now . . .

BTW, how do you like the Steve Riley DVD? So far, I like it a lot, although the Steve Riley "fan club" stuff is pretty silly; makes me smile and shake my head at the same time. The video quality is very good, and I like the split view, it works very well for me.

Re: Re: Steve Riley video - "ring finger bounce"

I still haven't grabbed Steve's video yet. He's bringin the Mamou Playboys to Austin end of this month. Maybe he'll have them for sale. Going to try hard to go see him.

Capt. E

Take my advice, and don't just try hard - DO IT! They are so **** good. Great dance band. I got to see them at the Balfa Camp dance one night, and had the joy of dancing to many of the cuts off "Friday At Last" that I had been dancing to off the CD. It's even better live.

Have fun! -Jamey

H Jamey, finger bounces are pretty common in quibeqcois and irish playing, usually they use more than one finger, like alternating triplets with your index & middle finger. Or a roll with three fingers on one button, mostly in ring-middle-index finger sequence.
One of our posters (i guess) uses as it seems a single finger bounce on Midland two step, see link #3: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=k-1AGzkjTcI
PS he has a slow version posted too, but omits the tricks there - nout

Re: Re: Steve Riley video - "ring finger bounce"

The damage to the nerves in my hands prevents me from bouncing with my ring finger constantly. I can bounce "around" with it, but can't perform staccato on my accordion with my ring finger (hahahaha, Rick where are you on this one)

But, on the brighter side, right before the "perfect storm" hit my central nervous system, I conditioned myself to do triplets with my ring and pinkie. Obviously I'm also doing the squeezing of notes (as Dirk says), pick up notes, and parts of melody line with all fingers.

Praise the Jedi Force for allowing me to keep a little dignity!

Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley video - "ring finger bounce"

Ha! Oh I'm here... maybe yuh oughta remove that 18k gold rang off that fanger? Be weightin' ya hand down, brutha. What's that rock anyways? Shiny as all get-out, like a CZ and I ain't talking 'bout no Cubic Zydeconiom, neither...

Lemme say this... whatever you're doing with the bouncing or not -- you're playing like ya mean it, Jimbalaya. Not only are ya rockin' with the pickups but you're workin' the frogs like like it's September in Rayne! No need for excuses cuz ya got that magic regardless of what your hand can do -- or can't. You're an inspiration to all of us!

~R!CK

Tomorrow I see Steve and the Playboys here just outside of DC. Pay to dance, or free if you just hang out outside the rail. He's at Glen Echo National Park.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!