Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Allons A Lafayette (aka Lafayette Two Step)

I'm working on Allons A Lafayette. It's low for my voice singing along with my C accordion, and it's not much better on my D accordion. The key of G is where I'd like to sing it, as Courtney Granger does on Ray Abshire's "Arrete Pas La Musique" CD. Does anyone know if Ray is playing this on a G accordion or if he's playing it in G on a C accordion?

Thanks,
Dale

Re: Allons A Lafayette (aka Lafayette Two Step)

Pretty sure he is playing a C. Its been done both ways on a C accordion.

Re: Allons A Lafayette (aka Lafayette Two Step)

On link#2 you can see our attempt on Allons a Lafayette. I use a D-accordion.

Up an octave?

Have you tried singing it up an octave?

Re: Up an octave?

Yes, but up an entire octave is too high. Starting that first phrase ("Allons a Lafayette") on a repeated high A is not comfortable, not to mention how it sounds!

Up a 5th to the key of G is just about right for me, as it puts that opening phrase on an E.

Ganey, you're right, Ray said he plays it in G on a C accordion. I'd been listening to the Aldus Roger version, which is in C, and has that signature quick ascending "g a b c" passage in the turn. I really like that "lick" which is not possible to play that in G on a C accordion without an F#.

Ray and Marc Savoy both suggested listening to the earlier version (earlier than Roger's version, that is) by Joe Falcon which is also played in G on a C.

Thanks all.
Dale

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!