Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lanse Grise accordions #1

Well, I was going to wait to post this, but decided to go ahead anyway. After months of sometimes frustrating, but, in the end, very rewarding work, I've finally got a working accordion. It is made with Binci C reeds and is out of some as of yet unidentified wood off of my grandfathers old barn, which he took off my great grandfathers old barn. It will eventually have my own hardware design on the corners, and under the bellows strap screws, and my own logo.

I wanted to make a traditional looking box, but with some things that make it mine. The cutouts on the base box are flying ducks, and there have been some funny guesses to what they were. I also put the routed profile on the bellows frame instead of the faceplate frame, and changed it a little. And I hid the keyboard screws on the inside edge.

It has been the most challenging thing I've ever built, and it actually made me giggle like a 10 year old girl when I got it all together and it actually made a sound. It is actually taking me some time to get used to playing it and not my Hohner.

The day after I tuned it, we went camping and I got to see some good players give it a good wringing out. Watching people play it is like watching one of your kids on stage.

To those who have helped me, you know who you are, I can never thank you enough.

Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

I want one!

R!CK

Re: Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

The wood could be long-leaf pine. Good wood for accordions. Beautiful job...

Re: Re: Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

My first thought was red pine, that color is the natural color. Then I got to thinking it was cedar, it was very brittle and I had a hell of a time with chipping. Some have suggested red cypress, but it just doesnt look like cypress to me. Some of the black streaks are natural and some I used dyed epoxy to fill cracks and worm holes.

Hope Claude is checking out the corners.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

Very very nice, Sir!.

Speaking of corners!, how did you cut them, ? were you able to buy one of the Miters shoppers?, the guillotine one? or did you use other means: like a radial or a motorised shop saw, or even a table saw.
The ultimate perhaps: a hand miter saw? .
Anyways, a young Cajun, building a Cajun accordion,in the Louisiana State, how authentic can that be?.

Fantastic Brian, chapeau bas a toi.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

I cut them close with a miter jig on the table saw, then finished them on a guillotine miter trimmer. Those trimmer things are awesome.

The accordion was actually built in northeast texas, but it's soul is firmly rooted in L'anse Grise, SW Louisiana. I think the wood was even cut by my great grandfather in his sawmill.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

Sweet!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lanse Grise accordions #1

I believe red pine and long leaf pine are the same tree. True red pine comes from the NE US. One of the great things about long-leaf is the absence of knots, the beautiful natural color and grain. Chipping probably came from the age of the wood.

I guess you could say I'm a little prejudiced (actually, a lot), but I think the accordion is awesome. I'm extremely proud of both the accordion and the builder.

Dowell

Bryan

Awesome job with that accordion. I love the picture set up too!

Looking forward to more pictures of future accordions

Congratulations!

What a talented group of people here! It seems that everybody and his brother is either a builder or a player or both!

Beautiful work!
It must be awesome to play it and be able to say "I made it myself"!
Nicole

Bryan, nice pic too You're not gomnna burn it, do you? Otherwise I wanna swap it for a hohner, it burns as well. I am waiting for the first SOUND SAMPLE!

Gus

Nope, not gonna burn it I dont think. I'd burn some of my wife's stuff first. I'll look at doing a youtube sample, but my playing leaves a lot to be desired.

I would like to hear as well.

Bryan--that is so nice. The photo, the background and props and the box itself!

I don't have a great talent for playing and my building ability has never been tested, but I know what I like.

Me, I like that, yeah!

I wanted to share in pride of accomplishment and let you know how much appreciate all your comments around here as well.

peace,
Griff

Merci beaucoup mon ami.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!