Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leon Chavis & The Zydeco Flames - "Holla @ Me"

For those zydeco fans in da house, Leon's brand new CD, "Holla @ Me" is the best CD I've heard since Chris Ardoin's, "Sweat" release a few years back. You can take my word for it, this one stands out. His songwriting, singing, and playing is very enjoyable on Holla @ Me -- all very tightly executed with upbeat, positive tunes.

I ordered mine from Floyd's Record Shop. If you decide to order yours there, don't forget to add my new CD in your cart, too! ;)

R!CK

Re: Leon Chavis & The Zydeco Flames - "Holla @ Me"

Hey, you're being carried by Floyd now? Heck, you're gonna be too uptown for a L'anse Grise box. Glad to see you finally got it done.

Send me a copy, will ye?

Gus

Congratulations Rick! Hope it does well!

Re: Re: Leon Chavis & The Zydeco Flames - "Holla @ Me"

Thanks, so far so good! But I really dig Leon Chavis' new CD. I ain't lyin' -- it's the shizzle! Leon is doing the next step in Louisiana zydeco in the most impressive way. There's some new roads paved on it and at the same time, he respects the old-school vibe. He's very different. There's just not a "bad" song or a song I would consider "filler" on his new disc. He recorded only 2 covers -- both Boozoo tunes -- and not only does a very good job on them, but breathes new life into them. I've never met Leon, nor have had the chance to catch him live, but on the record, he's hooked me deep on this solid release.

I rarely toot my own horn, but yes, I really like my CD, too, but I'm kinda biased on mine, especially since I know I've got one of the best bands in the world backing me. I never take them for granted and they work very hard. My band takes the Louisiana flavor of zydeco and distills it through the many facets of music that I personally like -- pop rock, Cajun, Caribbean, metal, and hip-hop. -- all done å la white boy-from-Dallas-stylee aka blue-eyed soul brutha. So, to purist, it might not be textbook zydeco, but it is my heart and soul etched into a shiny disc. It's what I love and it's who I am. It's my debut, and God willing and the crick don't rise, there'll be more to come. I constantly write new tunes so recording is my way of archiving this artistically fertile chapter in the book of my life.

I'm not Acadian blood, but I respect it as if I had a Hwy I90 address. However, I am very content to be from Dallas, TX, doing what I do. Here, it makes me as rare as a duck in a tree. I'll take that -- and honor it proudly!

R!CK

I had the chance to see him perform at this years Crawfish Festival. Out of all of the Zydeco performances he was right up there with Geno Delafose. Although a little different style of music, he has a great ability to make you feel the rhythm in his music.

You could not have put another person on the dance floor when he did his version of the Cupid Shuffle. He's not scared to try new things. Very talented and original artist.

You make me want to go out and buy his CD right now.
"Yes indeed, Yes indeed"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!