Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accordion wax question

I was thinking about leaving my old accordion on my houseboat (which is not climate controlled when I am not using it)...At what temperature would I have to worry about melting the wax and how did the old timers get away with this before the days of A/C??

Re: Accordion wax question

I don't know the exact melting point, but if you leave it on your boat, I'd suggest wrapping it in a blanket and storing it in a cooler, even one of those cheapie styrofoam things, to create as much insulation as possible. I've had to leave a fiddle in a car (no choice), and heat is just as dangerous for that as an accordion. I wrapped it in a blanket, and it worked out fine, unlike the fiddle in the car parked next to me - the glue softened and the neck came off.

Steve

Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Hi - wax melts at lower temperatures than bone glue, so isolation and storage at a cooler place should be a must; had a new acadian sent to me last spring from the shop: wax melted some where on the road (hot airport storage?) a little, ruining leathers and onto two reeds.
Temperature is also the reason i'd buy a white car if i get the choice, with heat reflecting windows; makes a lot of difference compared to dark colors. - nout

Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Leaving it on a boat is not a good idea, trust me

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

agree - moisture from damp air is destructive for all materials like reeds, bellows, woods - nout

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Leaving it on a boat is not a good idea, trust me

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Yeah, it's not just the heat, but the moisture as well. I understand the wax melts at about 140 degrees. It probably won't approach that in the houseboat if there is ventilation, but the moisture may corrode the reeds! If you must leave it there, make sure it is in a case where it will be insulated and protected from moisture.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

If the wax in your ears is melting as you sit in the car without A/C, the wax holding the reeds on will probably melt, too. Treat your accordion like a kid or a pet and leave the car A/C running, even if you're just going in to buy a quick 6-pack.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Hey, Dugas, where is your houseboat, anyway? Have you got a generator with lights for night fishing? I got a spare window air-conditioner that you can have if your ever in San Antonio, Texas. Trade you that for a weekend on Big Lake or Vermillon Bay in the house boat. How do you keep the beer cold?
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Hey JB..Thanks for the tip. I do live about 5 minutes from Big Lake but I keep the houseboat back in my home town of Lake Arthur. So unless you like chasing the bottom feeders,catfish,your out of luck. The boat is fully equipped with a generator and ac but for priority one, the beer, im still hauling the ice chest ..take it easy neg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Which side of the lake do you live on, Hackberry or Big Pasture Rd?
Hey, and thanks for doing those YouTubes.
Lots of teaching help there, mon am.
Keep it up.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

I live on the southwest corner of Lake Charles near Big Lake Rd..thanks..you should post some vids yourself..I need all the help I can get..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion wax question

Nice job with the videos Garrett. Hang in there buddy, keep your head up, keep posting, and you will notice the progress. When you feel like laying the accordion down because you have only learned a couple of songs, go back and look at an old video (from 6 months ago). You won't believe how much you have improved. Words of advice.

Brett Thibodeaux

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!