Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need practice session advice

Okay, I've been playing about 4 months now. I average about an hour/day: 1/3 time doing scales of varying sorts (octaves, octaves + index bounce, octaves + "squeeze" a la Dirk Powell, octaves + triplets, octaves + ring finger bounce, octaves + RFB + triplets); and 2/3 time doing songs. I've got about 8 songs, 3 sort of complete, 5 partials. I've incorporated left hand from the beginning, and feel good about it and my rhythm.

1st question: How do I get more clarity? I'm a little "muddy" sounding, probably because I try to play too fast for my skill level. Do I just slow down to the point that I'm very clear, then gradually increase speed? That sure ain't as much fun! But if that's what it takes . . . Any other suggestions?

2nd question: How soon should I start trying to play with the stereo (I don't really have anyone in these here parts to jam with), and any tips on my approach to beginning that phase of my education? I've studied Steve Riley's 1st DVD's section on chords, and thought I might try to listen and chord to songs to figure out their structure first, then try to fill in. Any advice?

Any suggestions, on these topics or any others, especially from you saltier dogs, will be greatly appreciated.

Obsessed in the Ozarks

Here's a few ideas ..

Hi Jamey,

I'll take a stab at answering you

There a many ways to approach learning, here are
a couple ideas that you can try ..

1.) Go slow .. 4 months ain't long! One needs to
log enough hours, just holding the instrument to
get comfortable with it. Be persistent. Stay
positive.

2.) When you practice, shoot for stability, accuracy,
& steady rhythm. The speed will come, but the
rhythm foundation needs to be solid. (A metronome
can help ..)

3.) It really helps to have an instructor critique
what you're doing. If none are available, try
comparing a recording of your playing to Dirk Powell's
from camp. See if you can analyze where you sound
different and why.

4.) Find someone to jam with. Eventually, line up
a low-profile gig. It really helps to throw
yourself into real-life playing. I'd suggest
recording and analyzing your "gigs" afterwards.

So, nothing earth shattering, but as Mark Savoy
says "There's no magic button .. it takes time".

Hope that helps? Best of luck, Jamie

--Big

Re: Here's a few ideas ..

I found that putting the accordion on your right knee helps a lot also, keep the right elbow tight against the body. And finally curl your fingers. I find it helps to keep your hand positioned on home, that is resting on # 5 button.

Jerry

Re: Need practice session advice

Jaime:

I was about to say that that is amazing progress for four months of playing, then I clicked on your links and saw that you already play piano accordion in a zydeco band, so obviously you have an enormous head start. That makes that amount of progress in that short a period of time more understandable. When I first got my box, my father-in-law was able to pick it up and start messing around with it, both hands together, from years of playing piano accordion.

You are much further along in button accordion playing than I am, so I will just make two comments.

First, I would guess that your practice routine is probably more organized and productive than that of not only most button accordion players, but most musicians, period. You will continue to progress very rapidly with that kind of discipline in practicing.

Second, I have always found in learning any instrument that yes, you have to slow things down to the point where you can do things perfectly, then very gradually speed things up. I have a friend who is very close friends with the great banjo player Bela Fleck, and that is how Bela learned - he would slow stuff down to a ridiculous tempo where he could play everything clearly without mistakes, then gradually speed up.

When I try to learn a tune, I first learn the RH melody with octaves. Once I learn that, I then bring in the LH, which requires that I slow the tune way down from the tempo that I was playing it with RH only. From that point, I try to keep the two hands together and very gradually build up speed.

Jaime,
I think it is important to play properly slower at the beginning and then gain speed like you typically would for any other instruments. Later, do some Two-Steps and Blues. I found that learning Waltz first is better. Get yourself lots of CDs and listen to them in your car and downtime. This will enhance your "osmosis" learning. You sub-conscious will pick up the subtleties of the songs. The videos you have now are great. I would recommend the others as well, Wilson Savoy to learn some of the subtleties is very good and the Marc Savoy is great too just to watch Marc in slow motion. 4 months is very short in time. I've been playing almost every day over the past 5 years + and I'm still in my learning curve. Sois patient mon cher!

Re advice...we had our first jam here in Austin and...

The first Austin jam went great. 8 people showed. We had three accodionists, two guitars, fiddle, tit fer, (I had my mandolin as well) rotated the accordions, two songs each, no rigid structure though...

The best thing I learned, from John Botter of San Antonio, is to slow down...especially to draw out the chord changes to allow dancers to get take their steps. Playing by myself, I have found that in the desire to get better, I am playing faster than necessary and not concentrating on how the song "feels". There is no substitute for playing with someone else and even having dancers present and active. I am sure you found that true at Balfa Camp.

One of the attendees and the third accordionist was Kenny Tweedy who has been to two Balfa Camps. Do you know him, Jaime. He has a nice voice and plays his 9 button Martin pretty well.

Re: Re advice...we had our first jam here in Austin and...

Hello, Captain Everett, Sir!
I sent you an email and have not had a response from you. I am assuming you did not receive it. I have referred your new jam to a freind of mine who lives and performs Cajun music in Austin, Mark Viator...a very wonderful guitar player. I also respectfully request that you give my regards to Kenny Tweety at your next Jam. I met him and Jamey Hall at the Balfa Heritage Week this past April. They are both very capable and affable accordionist's.

Thank you,
Charlie B. from southwest La.

Jaime,
You got a ton of positives going for you:
A. YOU ALREADY HAVE AN EDUCATED LEFT HAND. Keepin' the beat should be second nature. There are a lot of us out here who have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time. Yours truly a case in point.
B.YOU HAVE A BAND! There are 4 other people to help you with the rhythm, cover for you when you blow it, and give you constructive criticism. Beats watching YouTube or Dirk Powell CD's till 2:00 AM.
C. YOU FOUND THIS FORUM. Everybody here has gone through what you are going through, and some of us for the fourth or fifth time! As Maz says, "Patience". Works every time.
D. FINALLY, TRY PLAYING MORE WITH ONE FINGER IN A SINGLE OCTAVE. Amazing how much music can be generated and how the clarity will come through.
Yah dah dah dah, babble babble, my 2 sou.
JB

Jamey:

I mis-spelled your name, and it looks like some others followed my lead. I'm sorry about that.

Ron

Re: Re: Need practice session advice

From now on we will refer to him only in the formal:
Mr. Hall or James.
That's why I never liked being refered to in the dimutive. No Johnny or Little John or especially "Hansie", as some of my German friends liked to call me. Just "Hey,Botter" will do.
Sorry Jamey. I think I, not Ron A, started the misspelling. And English, even if it is Texas English, is my first language.
And buy the Don Montecet CD. Probably the easiest to follow and emulate.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Need practice session advice

I, likewise, am guilty of the offense. Beat me with a tit fer?

I agree with JB's comment about playing with one finger. It can add clarity, especially with songs such as Back Door. JB also commented during our jam Saturday that Dirk Powell gets you playing octaves and two button chords from the start, which is good, but if you notice, he plays single finger too: witness his Johnny Can't Dance.

Hope you get to Austin some day. You are welcome to come sit on my deck, drink a beer and play into the evening.

Capt. E

Re: Re: Re: Need practice session advice

Jamall,

JB sez something that has some credibility. If you want to play along with some recorded music, you might consider more rudimentary artists -- not Riley or Toups or Whomever.

Another thing to do is; download Audacity (it's free), and toss the recorded tunes you'd like to emulate into Audacity, capture just the accordion lickage you like (omitting the fiddle and vox) and slow them down like -35. Save them off to .mp3s and create a "mix licks" disc (or upload them to your player) that you will now listen to over and over and over and over until you can "hear" these slowed-down riffs in your head, and at any given point in your day.

Don't be too eager to pick up the accordion until you've barraged your mind with a hail storm of these slowed-down licks. Let them sink in deep, creating pockmarks of accordion goodness in your brain.

After many hours of this concentrated listening, pick up the box. It will be like an insurance reimbursement for all the damage you withstood.

If this method does not work for you then give it up. Sell your box here on this forum and buy some golf clubs.

R!CK

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS . . .

. . . for the excellent advice. This is why I love this group. Without a mentor close at hand, or even someone I could watch or listen to, the knowledge and helpfulness of this group is downright golden. Thanks especially to Big Nick and Nonc D., who sent me a wonderful e-mail full of excellent points.

I know I'm impatient to learn, but hey, the Mayan calendar runs out in 2012, and then I have to head back to my home planet.

Reminds me of the only Tai Chi joke I know:

Student: Master, how long will it take me to learn the
Tai Chi form?

Master: Oh, about 6 months.

Student: But Master, what if I practice really hard?

Master: Oh, then about a year!

Hey CB! Comment va tu? Quoi de neuf?

I have been squeezing my arm off ever since Balfa camp.
I will make sure Mark knows about the jam.
Amities,
Kenny

Ahh. Kenny.....le Balcon est pleine, d'Monde....bien sur!!......Man.it is soo.., good to hear from you! I heard you were a big hit at the new Austin Jam....yeah, I know you got the moves and the voice!....I am seriously contemplating a trip to Austin.....When would be the best tme in say the next 6 months, as far as the music is concerned? Mark V. is doing some serious Cajun stuff over there and know he and Susan are doing it Right!. Man,I sure miss you all. I got nuthin' but great memories to keep me, 'til the next time around. Keep Squeezing

Later,
Cajun,
Charlie B.

Re: practice and the Austin Jam

I sent Mark V an email about the Austin jam. Said to bring Steven S and Charles T along. Of course, with so many "professionals" us beginners will just sit there in awe with our mouths open. At least I can back up with my mandolin.

Fiddlers Green now has the Cajun Jam listed on their front page.

Who wants to start an Austin Chapter of the CFMA ?

Capt. E

Kenny,
Quoi de neuf?
Quoi de neuf.
What's new or what's nine.
Well, you got nine buttons.
And you style was new & refreshing.
See you in 2 weeks,Fiddlers Green, hopefully.
JB

hey-ho Jamey Hall!

Pleasure hearing you play both piano and your newly acquired Cajun accordion.

You've picked up much more than I did in my first four months and you're gonna soar with that bro!

The piano accordions stuff is stellar man and your singing and lyrics too.

Get on the myspace dammit! Record some stuff and I'll mix it down for ya and help you put it up.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!