Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BRAND NEW AUTHENTIC CAJUN FIDDLES

check out WWW.CAJUNFIDDLES.COM in SUNSET, LOUISIANA

Re: BRAND NEW AUTHENTIC CAJUN FIDDLES

They have their facts wrong on the history of the Acadians. They were expulsed from Nova Scotia between 1755-63, not mid 1800s.

Re: Re: BRAND NEW AUTHENTIC CAJUN FIDDLES

Maybe they meant mid 18th century???

Re: Le Grand Derangement 1755 -- Always Sad

Only in recent years, with help through internet & archives, is the real Acadian expulsion & Acadian slavery story being told & printed in detail. US history & Louisiana history bypasses most of the shameful details -- one may never want to study the details. The ship list on the site indicated below may have a typo error of 1775; however, thanks to France for "demanding" that these pour souls be set free from the North American East Coast. Partial description of the expulsion below in: http://bayougenealogy.com/shiplists.html

yeah, i noticed the typo, another place to look for fiddles if you need one is to google VIATOR CAJUN ACCORDIONS. THERE IS A VIATOR FOR SALE ON EBAY right now

The Viator fiddle on Ebay is named "Cap-Cap" and is beautiful. Viator names each one instead of giving a serial number. They sell new for $4500, so the Buy It Now price is a good deal, even though the tailpiece has been replaced. Each Viator is a unique instrument. Too bad I don't play fiddle...

Re: Re: Re: BRAND NEW AUTHENTIC CAJUN FIDDLES

All the Viators fiddles I have seen have the bass bar carved into the top. Not exactly what you would expect for a $4500 fiddle. Perhaps they are built differently now.

What is an "authentic Cajun" fiddle? Does it just mean a fiddle made in Louisiana by an ethnic Cajun? How is such an instrument different from any other violin? What kind of violins was this music developed on? Wouldn't a violin that imitates those violins be the most "authentic"? I don't get it ...

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to open that can of worms. There is no answer to that question. Labels just dont work with anything in south La.

Can of worms indeed. Think I told this story before, but can't remember if I have long term or short term memory loss. When I moved into my house, my neighbor told me about a new Chinese restaurant that had just opened, and said "It;s authentic... they're from New York". labels shlabels. Who's holding it, and what's coming out of it?

Steve

Realize that the term "authentic" is used by the original poster, and not the luthier. But on that note, I find that it is a growing tendency to use the word Cajun in the name of a business, not only to boast pride as a Cajun, but also to encourage those who identify with the Cajun culture to utilize their services. Some of the names I have noted in recent years are:

1. Two Cajuns and a Truck (movers)
2. K-Jon (Port-a-potties)
3. Cajun Finance (name says it all.)
And my favorite.......

4. Cajun Exterminators! (Deja vu!!!)

You left out Andrew Jagneaux's band:

"The Cajun Intruders"

priceless....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!