Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
recording equipment

hi can some tell me what to get im looking for somthing simple to put in my room to record my jam sessions on i dont want any thing high teck just a mic and stand and somekind of recorder can some one tell me what to buy

Re: recording equipment

Michael:
Do you expect to transfer your recordings to a computer, or just play back from the recorder itself into some headphones or powered speakers?

Some of the handheld digital recorders allow you to loop segments and slow down passages within the recorder itself.

On the other hand, if you want to accumlate recordings of different sessions (whether jams at home or a class at Augusta or Balfa), you can use your computer as a "library", burn CD's with it to play anywhere, and slow down or pitch-shift tracks to learn from.

Shed some light on the above, and the panel of experts will have some advice, I'm sure.

Steve Blais

Re: Re: recording equipment

There are lots of hand held digital recorders these days, most having bells and whistle you may not be looking for or need. But, all feature a one button record, not unlike the old cassette recorders. Prices have come way down because of competition with each other. I use an H4, and it's easier than my minidisk recorder. The only down side so far, is the display is tiny and hard to see without glasses or a magnifying glass. The H4 is probably more than you want, but like the others out there, you hit the button to record, same button to stop, done.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: recording equipment

Cassettes are the best way to go. I got me one of those player/recorder machines from the school library. I've been able to get some great effects by letting the batteries get low, it's perfect for changing pitch and tempo. It also comes with a built-in mic and speaker so I can record a really cool song and then play it back almost immediately -- on the player itself, in my car, in my wife's car, in my den, in my jambox, and also in my Walkman. Very versatile format.

~R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: recording equipment

you're right, but empty new cassettes are getting scarce in europe, the wells are dryin up, they seem they don't wanna make 'em no mo' ..... nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!