Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New student accordion purchase.

Many months ago I expresed an interest in learning the accordion. I was given great advice from the ccontributers here. Since then I have moved three time and changed jobs. Now that I am finally settled, I would like to aquire a cajun or quebec accordion (key of C). I have limited funds and do not want to use ebay (strangers) for this purchase Although I saw several cloesout models there today but some what suspicious of the price and uninformed of the maker,(craigslist possibly ok). Is there anyone out there that has an instrument that would be a good for learning and not developing bad habits. Please reply via email
Thanks

Re: New student accordion purchase.

Unfortunately, if you don't want to develop bad habits with any inrument, you need something of fair quality.

Even more unfortunate, chinese or European "Cajun style" accordions that aren't comfortable physically, and that have breakable parts will make the learning process almost unbearable. I know from experience, as do many others here.

Now that I've learned on Cajun handmades for a few years and gave up that Chinese Ariette "prototype" in 2002, I can even now appreciate crappy accordions. As long as they don't leak like hell with no easy way to fix them!!

I decided buying the real thing before I got into the habit of buying Hohners and Gabanellis and the current Ariette was the key to my learning the instrument.

One piece of garbage was enough to make me want the real thing in my first year of learning.

After a few months of garbage, either you'll give up or become determined to save for something right and righteous.

It only goes one way or the other, give it up or get the goods

That's my lesion-brained 5 cents

Jim

Hi John

Eva here...I have been waving back and forth on my decision on which box to buy...I think that I want an Acadian...then I feel guilty and think that I could get by with a gabbanelli cajun king...

after reading your above post I have to ask you....Are the handmade boxes the only ones that will keep you from developing bad habits? I hadnt thought of this aspect

Sorry Viola for cuttin in here...but I thought that this might also be of interest to you.

Re: Re: New student accordion purchase.

I don't believe any instrument will be responsible for causing bad habits. It's just that the cheaper boxes don't play quite as easily. I know it's a topic of very contentious debate but I rather enjoyed my Ariette when I was first starting out. Sure, the bellows are quite a bit stiffer, and buttons clunky compared to an LA handmade, but the thing really does sound quite nice (very wet). I played it for about 6 months before getting my first Bon Cajun, but the main reason I hurried into a handmade was because I love beautiful woods and handmade instruments and I wanted a fine piece. I had no problem with the playability of the Ariette and I even get it out once in awhile to play because I like the sound. It just ain't much to look at but for someone starting out wanting to try and see if you will like it or have a knack for it you can't beat the price.

just my $.02

Hal

Eva,

Don't worry about cutting in on Viola's post. She only wants email replies. So we can feel free to talk about what we want right here, securely in the middle of her post. I'd like to discuss barbecue recipes, but since you brought up the question of handmade accordions forming bad habits, let's discuss that.

Handmades don't cause bad habits -- people do. Handmades will certainly spur on the urge to continue to purchase more handmades, but they will also prompt you to consume more adult beverages. If you smoke, then, well, handmades will also simplify that process as well. Probably the most prominent habit that has formed from my purchase of a handmade is the liberal use of profanity. I've also been encouraged to drink and cuss in front of live audiences, along with another habit of purchasing pro-audio equipment.

So it's really six of one or a half-dozen of another. Whatever you decide, you'll enjoy yourself more whilst being broke and unhealthy.

R!CK

Ooops...sorry Jim....(got my Jim/John mixed up)

Standby, I may have a Falcon for sale at a reasonable price. I need to finally decide, and then give a fellow Arkie first shot.

-Jamey

Rick

After that explaination, I'm not sure I want a HANDMADE! ........(just kidding)

On a serious note, a Gabb with an internal mic sounds great for Zydeco. I have one in A and play it all the time. Unamplified they are slightly anemic compared to a handmade IMHO. Also, the standard way they come tuned is not cajun tuning so it doesn't sound "right". That being said, John Gabbanelli will tune it any way you want and adjust the action too. I think the way to go is to wait until you have the money for a handmade C. You can learn this instrument fairly quickly if you play a lot and you will play a lot more on a good box.

Johnny..

Boy the way you put that makes me want to run right down to LA! Seriously I can just furiously start puttin back the cash! I gathered up 900 in just a few weeks......I am thinking of gettin a bare bones box from Marc S. and Acadian..even the bare bones is much better than a cheaper fancy looking one ..I am guessing...

Oh and the debate inside my head continues....

well the box from Marc ...is not going to be amplified though right?

Question for Johnny A. I'm thinking of getting a second single row just for Zydeco, specifically for Rosie Ledet songs. Straight forward but solid. Does she usually use a Bb? "I love Louisiana" is a good one to mention. The Gabb would work fine. I do have a hand made in C and a Panther which does ok. Its got that Queen Ida sound.

Craig

I'm pretty sure Rosie's "I Love Louisiana" is played on her Bon Cajun G-Box. That tune is my favorite tune of her's. If I ever covered it, I'd have to change the key in order to sang it... lower for me, that is.

R!CK

I'm pretty sure that Rosies cajun box is a Bon Cajun too...I tried enlarging the picture the other day to try to scope out the name on the box..

I know....I am obsessed! ha!

Rosie uses an A a lot on her live shows and her double row is an f, Bb i beleive. I did sound for her at the TK Club awhile back and she came up with Cory Ledet's green triple row which is f, Bb, Eb and she played it like her double row. The other box was the Bon Cajun with the green flappers which I believe is an A. She also had a nine button but I don't remember the key. That could have been the low G.

Re: Re: Re: New student accordion purchase.

ViolaFox, we've discussed this same topic here gazillion, so feel free to do a little search above in the search engine. When you mentioned that you are on a limited budget, what do you mean? What is your budget?

BTW, I, too, learned on a cheapo made-in-China Hohner Ariette and have no regrets. I eventually graduated to a couple of fine hand-made boxes afterwards after I developed a passion for these machines. When you start and are not sure of wether or not you'll like it, and don't want to spend a big pound of flesh, it's a compromise for about $300-$400.
Next step up would be the Hohner HA114 or the Gabbanelli Cajun King, both of which are in the $700-$800. For sound and playability, these two are a big step up from the Ariette. Personally, I don't care too much for the HA114 as it doesn't have the Cajun look and the bass has spoons instead of buttons. The Gabbanelli Cajun King is a very nice compromise for a decent playing/sounding/looking box below $1K.

After that, you get into pre-owned hand-made Louisiana (or Quebec), which can be found in the $1000 to $1500 range. Finally you can get in the brand new market for $1700 and up.

So, how much do you want to spend?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!