Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
searching by genre - itunes vs zune

Not sure if anyone has a Zune on here. I downloaded their software, and cannot search by the genre of "cajun". I can search for the word "cajun" in a song, album, or band name, but that's it.

Does iTunes give you this capability?

Re: searching by genre - itunes vs zune

The genre of Cajun is too small for any music search engine, it's always under world (unless your in LA itself, basically...) but in iTunes when you search cajun you get a bunch of "cajun" responses.

IE, under albums I get Ultimate Cajun, Cajun Party, The Balfas Play Traditional Cajun, Pure Cajun.

Under songs I get "Cajun" by Roy Buchannan. "Cajun Song" by Gin Blossoms, "Dark Eyed Cajun Woman" by the Doobies, Jolie Blonde by the Cajun Playboys, etc.

This is why at CD stores I browse through the collections of Cajun CDs, and on iTunes I always search with a specific band in mind.

Cajun music/Cajun food

Following up on what Justin said, I think it's kind of strange that when it comes to Cajun music, it's grouped with world music or ethnic music, not American music, but when it comes to Cajun food, it's not considered ethnic like Italian, French, Mexican, Salvadoran, Chinese, Vietnames, or other kinds of food, even if you add -American after each of them (Italian-American, for example). I think it's because people conclude that anything at all can be Cajun food if you just throw in some of Emeril's spices (or Paul Prudhomme's or Zatarain's etc.)

Anyhow, Cajun food seems to be better known than Cajun music. I have met people who are surprised to find out that there is such a thing as Cajun people or Cajun French or Cajun music, etc.

I use iTunes and I've never tried searching by genre, I've always search by artist or song title. But I've noticed that just about all cajun and zydeco songs are labeled as either folk or world. Might want to try that.

Singer/songwriter and blues are other genres I just noticed that are used to label cajun music

Re: Re: searching by genre - itunes vs zune

Searching for "Cajun" on any music site will inevitably find only Buckwheat Zydeco and Doug Kershaw's music.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: searching by genre - itunes vs zune

Have you seen the latest by Buckwheat Kershaw? All the songs mention Cajun, alligators, aiiiyyeeee, Schlitz, gumbo, and New Orleans. In every song. All in English. Man, I'm in heaven.

Re: Re: Re: searching by genre - itunes vs zune

Doug rocks I have his autograph anyone interested in buying it e-mail me

Re: Re: searching by genre - itunes vs zune

Or you could type in any brave have this song???? Sorry Jon I forgot myself me bad

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!