Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone intersted in starting a regular jam session?

Mrs."Mama" Redell has asked me to help her get a weekly cajun jam going over at the Begneaud House, Scott, LA heritage & visitor center.

The jam would most likely be on Sunday afternoons starting either at 2, 3 or 4 pm.

Would anyone be interested in attending?

http://www.cityofscott.org/site358.php

Re: Anyone intersted in starting a regular jam session?

i would be interested but its too far i am in vinton.

Yep, that'd be a problem.

Hey,Jon...Long time! I actually attended the inaugural session there along with Jerry Moody, Pat Pellerin and Nathan Mouton (the latter 2 of the group 'Bonne Chance'. Mr. Paul Guidry (maker of the Creole brand accordion)was also there. Reggie Matte was supposed to attend also but had a busy schedule. I am willing to give it another try if you want. I know that Mitch Reed lives not far from la maison de Begnaud and would attend if it fits in his busy schedule. I could call my buddies from Rayne and see if they want to come back and give it another shot. Sunday afternoons may be a challenge, but we can try it out. Send me an email with your thoughts.

Charlie Begnaud

Keep in mind that a Sunday afternoon jam would conflict with the Sunday afternoon jam at Tom's Fiddle and Bow in Arnaudville.

I don't know if this matters to you or not. It could create some ill will against you for starting a competing jam. And it could make it harder to draw a regular crowd.

Just some thoughts.

Good point Jude however, I think the crowd at Tom's is a pretty regular group mostly of out of staters that go there. I was there a week ago and they had Steve Riley and Horace Trahan leading. So to "compete" they would have to get some heavy hitters. If it were on Saturday morning from 9 or10 am until 1pm or 12 noon then those interested could stay or go to Vermillionville. I would like to go to Lafayette and play more than I get to sometimes because there are accordion players coming out of u no where. Which is good. If it starts early enough on Saturday morning people have options. I like options.
Le Piquant

hey le piquant

hey jerry did you ever contact that guitar player that used to play with joe bonsal and see if he wanted to start a jam around vinton?

Hey Charlie! Yes, it has been awhile. I was over at the Coffee Break this past Sat.

Live close enough and would love to but to jam with Steve Riley to me is not jammin its just listening. I want to jam with more people of the beginning varity so as not to be intimadted ya get it. Its like the jennings shoot off or whatever its called hell its for big shots lets have a jam for ones that know a little but have to struggle some or its just not fun.

Well I didn't mind it. If I wanted to play all I had to do is speak up. I sang four or five songs with Steve and Hoarce playing. I enjoyed that because it is hard to play and then start singing. I am just learning to sing and having someone play the accordion well gives me time to find the tune. I am not intimidated by the big boys, they all know I love the music and I am doing the best I can so get up there I give it my best shot and have a ball. I don't care what people think of me as long as they think of me.
Le Piquant

I don't know how popular this would be, but have you thought about an early Friday evening jam time?

I like the idea of a Friday evening jam.

We were thinking Sunday because there are a few jams on Saturday and one on Sunday at Tom's but I think that one is at 1pm (I'll have to check) so we were kind of leaning toward 3 or 4pm. Sunday mornings is pretty much out of the question because many (myself included) like to attend church and spend some QT with family.

But yeah, Friday probably would be better, huh?

hey jon

when and where are those jams on saturdays?

Re: hey jon

Man, I'm glad someone told me you were starting a jam on Sundays...I want my guitar back...lol..Sounds fun

I told you about it the other day when we were playing pool at the Ice House, remember? Oh, I guess not...

And your guitar, its at my house dude. I can get it to you today.

Aaron, the Saturday jams here locally in Acadiana are Savoy Music Center Jam on Hwy 190 just east of Eunice, Coffee Break in downtown Breaux Bridge and Vermilionville in Lafayette.

cool thanks jon

The Ice house thing was not funny, btw...Keep the guitar until after the weekend in case you need it to go jam. I won't need it until next week at earliest.

hey joey

hey joey you play cajun music on the guitar?

Re: hey joey

Playing Cajun music on a guitar is fairly simple at least in the basic back-porch, jam type setting since the guitar is used mainly as a rhythm instrument rather than a lead instrument. Now if you where to play guitar in a band more may be expected of you. But as for as in a jam, just a few cords and the correct rhythm is all that is necessary.

Jam

Jon, I'd be up for it when I get back to town. We are planning to be back in Lafayette (for good) in October. I'd really like to get something going as well !

Re: Jam

Hey Rusty, that sounds great bro! Happy to come back home or what?

Man, the folks here are great but like Dorothy said - there's no place like home !!!!!!

rusty, glad to have you back soon. give us a buzz when you get back.

jon, i'd be up for doing something on friday nights. i've gotten a little better and we already have a semi-regular supper/jam in scott that could easily be moved or held in conjunction with this new one. i've actually been kinda wanting to learn guitar as well since they threw the acoustic bass at me a while back and said play. i did. wasn't bad. we also have a drum set. give me a ring and we can talk more.

Last Saturday we were in Lafayette and Breaux Bridge. The jam at Breaux Bridge wasn't very good. Vermillionville was. Then I called Mama Redell at the musium in Scott and asked if my wife and I could come and sit in the kitchen and play, she loved it. We played for an hour and a half just me and my wife with an appreciative audience of one. Good acoustics and all you have to do is call her and let her know you would like to have an improptu jam and she would love it.
Le Piquant

La Piquant, the jams in Breaux Bridge are not always bad trust me. But yeah I was there this past Sat. and it was bad but got alot better the last few hours once some better musicians showed up.

Btw, I was at the Beagnaud House yesterday and Mama had told me about the confusion in regards to you calling her about a jam they had heard about on this message board and you going over to play.

And as an update. We decided that Friday at 6pm would be the best time and we will try to work something out not this friday but next (8/14/09). Nothing is set in stone but that's the goal.

Well I am not sure what got better. I apologize for my performance, my mind and heart wasn't in it. Someone needs to lead the jams because ego's are too big and that ruins it.
Le Piquant

I don't even think there were any fiddle players while you were there.

Egos... Really?

Jon, When you get the time and date finalized, be sure to post an announcement as a new string. This string is getting kind of buried.

Sure will.

Jared, what's dude! You guys still have that dinner & jam going on in Scott? I'll have to make a point to get out there more often. Tell Richy to call me next time yall go out there.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!