Return to Website

Cambridge Hornets Forum

Welcome to the Cambridge Hornets Forum discussing Senior Hockey in Ontario and across Canada

Cambridge Hornets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: politics in hockey

Which player's got the boot around the league???

Re: politics in hockey

I agree with the original post. Most teams let egos and talent determine their teams fate(ie; Cambridge and Dundas). It is not uncommon for this to destroy a teams season. What most teams fail to realize is, most junior B players will play harder and show more of a commitment than the talent and egos. The more they play, the more they learn and feel more comfortable with the senior style of hockey. This point is proven if you look at the other four teams in the league. Heart, work ethics and a drive to learn will win hockey games.

Re: Re: politics in hockey

Cambridge has 8 guys who played junior B so what are talking about 2hotty? Besides do you honestly think a guy who played Junior b is going be better than a guy who played in the OHL? Give me a break. I am not saying that Junior B guys can't play because they can and Cambridge proves that ( except for that record!) However If I can get a guy who played in the OHL and some pro and is 30 I'll take him any day because he has more experience, probably stronger ( reason for making OHL) and likely bigger. Anyone who scouts hockey knows that.

Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

That makes too much sense for this forum!

ALL teams are trying to get the best players for the moment, and their resumes and past glories are not as important. BUT, experience is a huge asset that cannot be taught.

Look at the ex-pros and the way they skate and handle the puck. No extra effort can make them look lazy i.e. Peter Zezel. On the other hand, Scott Kerr skates like a madman every game, but is often out of position and has hands of stone. He has a heart of gold and determination, but along with his size, and lack of "hockey sense" these are reasons he never got out of the OHL. BUT he is still a very good player!

Good hockey players are good hockey players regardless of their backgrounds and te best almost always rise to the top.

Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

In the original post I was not suggesting to not sign pros or guys that played in the OHL. I was just pointing out that all these teams have probably dumped players that helped get them to the point they are at right now. If the team is struggling in the standings then yes get rid of the players that are not contributing. I guarantee even the top 3 teams have dumped talented guys aswell. Where the contridicton lies is you can bet some of these players will be replaced by guys that yes played in the O but it might of been 10 years ago and only 6 games for example. Now i'm not saying that player doesn't have expirience it's just that managment is letting a player who has learned thier teams systems and chemistry go where the new player has to learn these systems and my not click with the line they are put on. I am all for teams trying to improve it makes for a better game but my original point was if you have even played 1 game pro it will outweigh a good player with more talent and heart because they have not played anywhere (yet).

Re: Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

Sometimes players who have not played as high a level do work harder, but is difficult to compare because certain players (such as Zezel) aren't nearly as fast as others but do bring so much else to the table such as a shot, puck control, passing and 'hockey sense' that it more than makes upfor his speed and makes it worth having a part time player.

There are pros and Cons to all types, sizes, shapes, etc of players, and this is what makes the GM's job so difficult. At the end of the day, we have to trust the GM to make the best decisions for the team, even if with do disagree.

Enjoy the games!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

It's true i finished junior B 2 seasons ago and am in school where there is no college hockey team. Being from the hamilton area I tried to contact Dundas for a try out at the beginning of the year but never got a reply. I guess they like having a 7.00 GAA with their "pro" goalies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

Junior B guys don't finish checks and are afraid to get involved ---for the most part. Now some do get involved and play hard but it is rare. If you watch some of Cambridges junior B players they play the outside and rarely force a play through a hit. A lot of times it's because they are intimidated. There is always a reason why someone never makes it to the next level. For most Junior B guys it's the physical part of the game. Just watch the next Cambridge game to see the Junior B lines work along the boards. It's very loose.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

Excluding Alan Wong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: politics in hockey

Alan wong plays hard no doubt. Like I said it is not all of them. Those others are total cowards though at times. I would sit them if they played like that for me.