Return to Website

Cambridge Hornets Forum

Welcome to the Cambridge Hornets Forum discussing Senior Hockey in Ontario and across Canada

Cambridge Hornets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: a post to ponder

They do get money, but not nearly enough to live off. I am sure they would have other (money making) things to do were they not at the arena.

These players do still love the game, and they probably would not still be playing if they didn't get something.

But to go from making thousands and tens of thousands and taking planes or coaches, to riding School buses on Friday and Saturday nights (many coming from out of town), you have to be doing it for more reason than the nickels and dimes they are getting

Re: Re: a post to ponder

I pondered it but it bored me.

Who cares buddy.

Great post... I think we all know what team you are talking about. Paying players is what ruined the league back in the 80's. Just like the NHL small markets can't compete. But wait there is a small market team competing and kicking ass. Just for the love of the game.. I doubt some of the "superstars" would be playing if they were getting nothing. And those of you that think they would are out to lunch.

So what? Who cares?

Our team can't draw 50 fans though and that is embarrasing for our city. We shouldn't brag until we support our team to be honest. I'm really dissapointed we can't support our team. We should not be bragging that our team can't give more to the guys because our town is too cheap to go watch. Thats just how I feel with my brother playing.

I have absolutely no problem with the players recieving something for playing. I would rather the money go to the people providing the entertainment.

If it takes some incentive to get the players out, fine.

If they took away the idea of paying players something, I don't think the league would survive.

Petrolia fan, it's not just about people being "too cheap" to go watch a Squire game. The team has to compete with the Sting, Blast, Jets, Flags etc. for a fan base. There is no shortage of hockey in the area and it's hard for people to justify the trip to Petrolia for game at 8:15 on Friday night. With that said, the team could use a better marketing strategy than the one it currently employs (there isn't one), so let's spread the blame to more than the local yokels.
As for the "post to ponder", there is no shortage of good debate on the subject, so to those of you who "don't care", why do you feel the need to post these remarks? Are you afraid your eyes may open to the truth of senior hockey's dark secrets? You can't deny that paying players as much as some teams pay certain players does have the potential to compromise the competitiveness of the league. However, it's definitely not the players fault. Who would turn down $300 a game to play senior hockey? But, I think you have to recognize the fact that it really makes no difference on the quality of play that is seen night-to-night (see Petrolia's payroll). In fact, it might actually have an adverse effect on the heart of some higher paid players. Just my opinion.

Looks like everyone but Tug either missed the point of that post or dismissed it because the truth hurts -Yeah, Gilbert Dionne is in Cambridge for the night life...
What the point being made was I believe was that somethings gonna give. Either all the good players in the league are going to go where they can get paid thereby causing the low budget teams to fade away - bye bye Simcoe, you're next P-town...- or the owners that are paying will take their money elsewhere and the players used to getting cash will take off too - like to Quebec. The end result there is bye bye league.
It's good that teams like Petrolia and Brantford are in the thick of it because it makes for a good league but the real lack of parity behind the scenes might be a disaster waiting to happen.

If the original post or this one was too long for some of you "who cares buddy" responders because your lips are getting tired then my apologies...

Petrolia Players do get paid

Petrolia players receive bags of grain and farming tools.

The elite players get free tickets to the Oil museum.

Re: Petrolia Players do get paid

Sharp as a marble 2 Cold.

Petrolia can't complain too much, Cambridge does a great job of getting sponsors, marketing the game and therefore has some money for players.

And not all of the players make money, trust me.

If the league wants to be a small town league with no budgets that is one thing, but some may say if you are going to be in the league, you should go in all or nothing.

My brother got paid to play the year they hosted the Allan Cup by the way. So don't say they play for free in Petrolia. Petrolia would pay if fans would go to the games. Besides I'm sure every team has things to compete against. Hell the leafs are an hour away from Cambridge and Dundas and there are the Kitchener Rangers and stuff up there too. I'm sorry I'm not blind just becuase I'm originally from Petrolia and my brother plays there. I can see reality and that post of "freeness in the world" is lame I even admit that. It ****** my brother off that they all get squat and don't think for one second they wouldn't take it if offered. If Petrolia folds because players leave the people of Petrolia are the ones to blame not people from other cities. Thats just stupid.

Hey 2cold... where do you keep your many Ph.D degrees? Are they on the wall in your brain surgery office or hanging alongside your Nobel Awards at your office at the United Nations?

Hey Offside...

Don't worry, punch clock workers are important. It is nothing to be ashamed of!

P.S. I do have my degree's on my office wall!

LOL!!!

Re: Re: Petrolia Players do get paid

Don't you people have jobs?

Re: Re: Re: Petrolia Players do get paid

Yeah, we have jobs. But most people in these parts sit around a computer all day until something blows up. As for you Petrolia fan, the last time I checked the population of metro Lambton County was a little smaller than the tri-city area.

I would be interested in knowing who Petrolia Fans brother is. Because what I have heard is that the players got equipment based on years of service this year.

If you call pants, gloves and helmets equipment....I call it a uniform.