Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Name these 2 songs

Steve Riley, David Greely, and Joel Savoy at Fiddle Tunes 2010. What is the name of the 2 songs they play in this video? I know them but can't think of the names and it's driving me crazy.

Website Link #1 below for the video.

Re: Name these 2 songs

First one is La Valse d'Amitié (Doc Guidry)
Second is something Dennis McGee used to play but I can't remember the title. Well, the title would change depending on what day you asked him. I think it's a reel.

It's hard to beat Neal to the punch! I agree with what he replied.

neal
First one is La Valse d'Amitié (Doc Guidry)
Second is something Dennis McGee used to play but I can't remember the title. Well, the title would change depending on what day you asked him. I think it's a reel.

I don't know what the 2nd one is either but from that tune they break into another song which I think is the Reel de Barzas (or at least the beginning of that reel). If you refer to Steve and the MP's album Bon Reve, there is a tract called "McGee Medley" which starts off different from the youtube video you posted but ends up sounding the same about 1/3 of the way through. My guess is they are playing the MeGee Medley from Bon Reve but are just starting off with a different tune then what they start off with on the album.

Jon Melancon
I don't know what the 2nd one is either but from that tune they break into another song which I think is the Reel de Barzas (or at least the beginning of that reel). If you refer to Steve and the MP's album Bon Reve, there is a tract called "McGee Medley" which starts off different from the youtube video you posted but ends up sounding the same about 1/3 of the way through. My guess is they are playing the MeGee Medley from Bon Reve but are just starting off with a different tune then what they start off with on the album.

Yep...is sure is. After Neal mentioned Dennis McGee thing I went digging through my Steve Riley albums and found the McGee Medley, which was right on the money.

In the second set, the second tune could be the Reel des Barzas from Denouse McGee.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!