Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stuck

Yeah, i think you're hitting the nail on the head there, I'm a little sick of my own playing. The thing is, I don't think I can stop with cajun music. I'm not tired of listening to other people, I'm just not satisfied with my own playing. I feel like I'm hitting some sort of ceiling and I need something to push me through to the next level.

Try something different in style like an Irish or Old time Country tune to develop your melodic feel? F.i. Arkinsaw Traveller is great on the onerow machine .- Nout

Ehren get with Jim Petijohn I believe he uses Skype and your both on equal levels I would say. You too would have a great jam.

This happens to me alot. I always find the reason I am stuck in a rut is because I play in a rut. You get comfortable playing the same old tunes the same old way. Try to do something hard. Challenge yourself.

Another thing I do is go back to the basics practicing rhythm, timing, posture, phrasing, etc.

Play really slow. Where you at in Missouri?

I live in Columbia.

Well, Ehren, I'm afraid that this thread got stuck, too.
I think it's only normal that you have such a period every now and then. Just a matter of time, I guess. Best of luck.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!