Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NPR: Cajun String Bands: The Next Big Thing?

Here is my opinion, which is only one person's. I hope this story brings good publicity to the music! That's the main thing.

This narrative has been around for 30 years now, if not longer: The idea that Cajun music is in danger of becoming some kind of museum music, and then along comes a new generation of exciting musicians who are injecting life into it. And surprise surprise, the young people of Louisiana are actually becoming involved in learning their own language again. And Cajun music becomes fun.

I have no idea where anyone came up with the notion that Cajun music was NOT fun, was museum music, and needed to be saved by a new generation of musicians. These ideas were wrong headed in the 80s and even moreso in 2011.

These ideas are at least as old as the 70s and 80s. In place of Pine Leaf Boys and Feufollet, substitute the names Beausoleil, Zachary Richard, Wayne Toups and others. And in place of Blue Moon Saloon in Lafayette substitute the Bons Temps Rouler, Hamilton's Club, Antler's, and Grant Street Dance Hall.

And oh. Since when is an accordion led band a string band? In Cajun, we distinguish between our string bands (like Hackberry Ramblers, Harry Choates, and some of the new stuff played by Andre and Louie Michot) and accordion bands. Since the 1930s, if not earlier.

This writer, Himes, was covering music in the Washington DC area since the late 80s, so he should know better about this. But if his article brings Cajun music some renown, so much the better!

Re: NPR: Cajun String Bands: The Next Big Thing?

You know, I've heard from somewhere that Bill Monroe originally included an accordion in his bluegrass group.

Probably just hearsay though

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!