Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speaking of Very Old Cajun Tunes

Speaking of very old Cajun tunes, I was just listening to a song by Leo Soileau and Moise Robin titled "Easy Rider Blues." This song was recorded by them in January, 1929, and I have never heard of anyone else who has recorded it.

It is a great song. In her notes to the Leo Soileau CD on Yazoo (Yazoo 2041), Ann Savoy had this to say about the song: "The "Easy Rider Blues" stands out as the all-time greatest Cajun blues. Soileau's French accent belting out the old blues lyrics and his drawn-out note bending howls like a Stanley Brothers song. The accordion on this number simply basses the fiddle in the style used by Creole accordion players, and the fiddle's tremolo gives a pulsating effect to the high notes, making them hang in the air."

It seems to me that someone else should have recorded this song. If they have not, they should.The record collector Joe Bussard reaslly likes this song, too.

Jack Bond

Re: Speaking of Very Old Cajun Tunes

This is a good one. I would love to see a video of someone doing it.

I know another version "Easy rider" by Dewey & Tony Balfa and Tracy & Peter Schwarz (Les quatre vieux garçons - Folkway Records)
"Le bues du cadien" is very similar.

Marc.

Marc,

You are so right. On the Folkways recording, you are also right about the the song sounding like the Cajun Blues; but it's a bit of a stretch on the Leo Soilieau version. Interesting, though...thanks.

Jack Bond

Hey Jack, is the version you like at Neal's website?

Jamey,

No. it is not on Neal's site. I did do some checking and found copies available on ebay, half.com, and amazon.com. The title of the CD is "The Early Recordings of Leo Soileau" (Yazoo 2041). Ann Savoy wrote the booklet that accompanies the CD. There is a pretty wide range of prices, but the lowest seems to be $9.99.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!