Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Playing with three stops

Yeah its more than likely my own **** fault, my reeds are whatever Savoy puts into his accordions. I've had to tune them about once a year (and its always right around mardi gras for some reason, probably the horrible Missouri weather) and both times he said there was a reed broken in one of the Mid range reed banks.

Go ahead Tom, flame away...

Ehren my friend thank you for the opening. Shoulda bought a M A R T I N. His boxes last all thru the Mo summer.

Ehren, what kind of reeds does it have? Hohner reeds are known for breaking easily. Shutting a bank off does put more pressure on the the reeds most prone to breaking, but if you play reasonably, it still shouldn't be an issue.

Does this harm the accordion? In a word, no.

i don't think too that playing with 3 stops could make damages on your box...

But like you, I notice players playing with 3 stops. I like it and I always imagine it sound very irish...especially with tunes like shamrock or others from the same kind...but this is just my point of view...

Whatever, there are 4 stops on our boxes, so sometimes it could be fun to play in a different way and trying to play with only 3 ;)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!