Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roland FR-18 Digital triple note

This sure looks to be huge bang-for-the-buck. A new Corona II is close to $1,800 from the online retailers.

Re: Roland FR-18 Digital triple note

I'm still trying to figure out these switches. I think the organ sound that I like is third switch red. that is the biggest fattest with the fast Leslie.

Q: sure there is no boozoo button

"Do you like Keith Frank's 9 switch Baffettis in GCF and FBE. No problem. Do you want it drier or wetter, no problem. Like Boo Zoo's sound on Motor Dude, no problem. Does Beau Jocque's trade mark sound still make you wobble in the knees? you can dial that in too and change it to any key if you want. "
===

yes but..

how do you do that exactly?

i;m sure there is no boozoo button

does it even have a sound that starts out like a regular single row LA accordion, to modify?

how do you tell it 'internal miked zydeco sound'?

or 'i want to cut the bass reed off'

can you change just one note to a different one?

how does it handle the difference between triple row and single row at the bass end?

i'd like to like this thing
but i am annoyed there is no digital accordion that can switch from 5 row chromatic to 3 [or 5] row diatonic..

wle

Re: Q: sure there is no boozoo button

There's no Boozoo button as far as I can tell.

It does not have an internal mic'ed zydeco sound, but somebody could create one and load it into the accordion. They don't go into the details in any depth, but I assume that you would use a sampler and create a multi-sample, like you would on a sampling keyboard.

The way you cut the bass reed off is more or less the same as on a normal triple row. There are 5 register switches on the front, and each has two settings. So, that is 8 different sounds, and the differences have to do with which reeds are turned on or off. In addition to that, there are 12 "accordion sets", which are the fundamental sampled sounds of real accordions that the thing is based on. So, you select an accordion set first, and then select one of the 8 sounds within that set. There is also a setting where you can change the amount of mussette by 15 steps. They don't say how each of the steps relates to a number of cents, unfortunately.

You can also change the keyboard layout to be anything you want, including changing just a single button. The way you do that is that you download an app onto your PC or Mac, change the note assignments, load the result into a thumb drive, attach the thumb drive to the accordion and off you go. You can change the bass side this way too.

I have not tried it yet, but I see no reason why you couldn't set this thing up to be a three row diatonic. For that matter, you could set it up with both C system and B system.

Re: Q: sure there is no boozoo button

It does not have an internal mic'ed zydeco sound, but somebody could create one and load it into the accordion. They don't go into the details in any depth, but I assume that you would use a sampler and create a multi-sample, like you would on a sampling keyboard.

==really.. you couldn;t do that with the
original chromatics

The way you cut the bass reed off is more or less the same as on a normal triple row. There are 5 register switches on the front, and each has two settings. So, that is 8 different sounds, and the differences have to do with which reeds are turned on or off. In addition to that, there are 12 "accordion sets", which are the fundamental sampled sounds of real accordions that the thing is based on. So, you select an accordion set first, and then select one of the 8 sounds within that set. There is also a setting where you can change the amount of mussette by 15 steps. They don't say how each of the steps relates to a number of cents, unfortunately.

==is there a setting that at least
sounds like a regular cajun accordion?

You can also change the keyboard layout to be anything you want, including changing just a single button. The way you do that is that you download an app onto your PC or Mac, change the note assignments, load the result into a thumb drive, attach the thumb drive to the accordion and off you go. You can change the bass side this way too.

==ok
i have read that so i believe it
even though you couldn;t do that
on the original chromatics either

[[if you could have, you could have
made it into a diatonic - though
roland claims the pressure sensor
in the chromatics does not
distinguish 'in' from 'out'
which i find hard to believe
maybe its firmware doesn;t but a
pressure sensor should go + and - ]]

I have not tried it yet, but I see no reason why you couldn't set this thing up to be a three row diatonic.

==you mean chromatic

For that matter, you could set it up with both C system and B system.

==yes but the more common chromatic is 5 row, as you know :)

==wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!