Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FR-18 software update

Roland site for updates, etc...OK...thanks.

The other issue I was referring to was what happens if and when things break or there's an electronic malfunction. I recently spoke with the designated Roland local warranty/after sales service guy.

When I asked what he knew about the accordion he said he had the manual, and that's it..but ..he says it's just another piece of electronic equipment and shouldn't be a problem.
Roland's back-up on this trail blazing unit may? prove to be a bit frustrating and inconvenient , however, the accordion may also prove to be a very stable and reliable unit as long as it's not dropped or run over ..LOL.

The numbers 16', 8' and 4' are (I believe) derived from the nomenclature of pipe organs (sixteen feet long, 8 feet long, 4 feet long). Why they do it that way instead of the usual L, M, H (or bassoon, clarinet, picolo) designations I can't say.

So, yes, it means which virtual reed banks are turned on for each setting.

And yes, the "+" and "-" refer to the mussette detuning of the middle reed banks.

The way I noticed the octave problem was when the low reed back was turned on, and I played some of the lower pitched notes on the outer row. I just sounded strange and unnatural. But the octave shift fixed it. If you look at the keyboard layout charts, you will see that the octave designations for the notes on tab 11 and 12 are lower than the other tabs. For example, where a certain button should have been middle C (C3), they had it set to C2.

Have any of you tried the other (non-accordion) sounds, like the organ, plucked string, etc? Also, do you play through an amp, or PA. Could you simultaneously monitor your playing through the headphone jack while also sending a signal to the amp or FOH?

Yes, I have tried all of the sounds. I like the organ sounds and might use them for certain songs. There's a nice tenor sax sound. Some of the sounds are junk that I would never, ever use. But that's normal for any synth.

You can also use it as a midi controller to any midi keyboard or sound module. I have been told that Roland has a sound module that is intended for accordion sounds and that is supposedly the ultimate, but I don't know much more than that.

The outputs are numerous and very flexible. I haven't tried it, but I suspect you could use the headphones and the other outputs simultaneously.

Sometimes I use just the PA, and other times I use the PA and a keyboard amp. The keyboard amp is an insurance policy against an inadequate monitor system. Unless I know for sure that the monitors will be enough to suit me, I bring the amp to beef up my stage sound. I like to be able to hear myself well enough that I can get into the groove and really feel it. If I use the amp, I normally split the signal from the accordions using a couple of those handy dandy ART tube preamp, DI boxes. I think you might be the one who recommended them a few years ago.

-David

Replacement buttons, etc.

I sent Roland a question about replacement buttons. The reply came very quickly:

To order replacement parts (AC adapters, keys, replacement knobs, etc.), please contact our Customer Support department at 323-890-3740. They are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30am and 5pm Pacific Standard Time.

Re: Replacement buttons, etc.

You are the man David!! Pipe organ length!!!Who would've thunk that!!

I like your idea of using a keyboard amp for more monitor. I'm gonna try that next gig. thanks.

Yeah..I use a Roland Keyboard Amp on stage witha wireless set up...that amps also DI'd through the main desk.I'm not sure it matters what type of amp you use....the main thing is to be able to hear yourself at the level you want IMHO.

The reason I now use the amp is that I think I play poorly when I can't get that 'punchy' on-stage level....
If the foldback level is weak, and foldback happens to be all I have, I tend to play weak...and as a result I attempt to compensate by playing too hard to get the output I want...it's tiring.

The guys in the band also seem to get overwhelmed with the sheer output of the accordions when it's played solely through foldback monitors...so, the way I get the level I want, and the punch and drive I like, is to have the amp behind me at the level I want ...and the other band guys, being at almost 90 degrees to my amp are only getting the edges of it's output...and foldback can be reduced to a level that's appropriate.

As you'd appreciate, single row and other accordions with inbuilt mics can be HOT, signal wise...and sound engineers at the main desk ( when you're lucky enough to have a sound guy) , always seem to struggle with balancing the levels....and I always find that they have me down in the mix no matter how much I complain...perhaps I'm going deaf !!! LOL..anyway, these days I have the last laugh..I provide my own foldback, albeit right up my backside !

I just got off the phone with someone at Roland, and they do have replacement button caps. They cost a little over $4 each (!), but since the FR-18 is a brand new product they don't have them in stock yet. They can order them and it will take 6 weeks or so for delivery.

Apparently, you can only get an exact replacement, which means black - there is no other choice of color.

I am going to send an enhancement request to Roland Support to come up with color choices.

The guy at Roland I talked to did say that Roland buys the button caps from a supplier, but didn't say who the supplier was. If there was a way to figure out who the supplier is, maybe they already have other colors available?

In an emergency you could use the buttons off of the extra bass rows I imagine.

Another idea for the buttons

I had an idea of where to get white button caps that might work. The Roland chromatic button accordions have black AND white buttons, and from the pictures the button caps look very much like the ones on the FR-18. I just ordered a couple so I can see whether it will work out or not. They don't have them in stock, so it will be several weeks.

Buttons and Software updte

I updated the box. It was actually easy and very user friendly. So if I can do it then anyone can. David, you were right. It sounds much better with the octaves corrected and the top three buttons now programmed for sound.
Any idea what the names of the different tablatures are?

I bet you are correct in that the white buttons for the chromatic will probably fit the Fr 18. Let us know when you get them. It would be neat to customize the fingerboard with an interesting design.

Russ, let us know when you get yours and how you are getting along with it.

Re: Buttons and Software updte

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll let you known when mine arrives.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!