Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I wonder why religion plays such a minor role in Cajun songs.

Very interesting. I had never paid attention to this fact in Cajun songs.

Don't tell the Pope I said this!!
It might cost me my yearly regular gig at the Vatican every Easter !!

Rome  2009

Vatican?

Peer
Don't tell the Pope I said this!! It might cost me my yearly regular gig at the Vatican every Easter !!
Me thinks you're far better off to steer clear of such an evil place anyway; you could be bitten by a really nasty snake, even if your above 12 years old:

And today's catholism related scandals prove once more to me that my (not the Belgian one) grandmother was right by all means telling me to avoid churches when i was a kid. Thank God ... - Nout

This reminds me of a cajun joke.

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux were visiting the vatican to see the pope go by. They were set up for the whole parade. They had a crab boiler set up, some beer, and some easy chairs.

Pretty soon, the pope mobile drives by and stops. The pope opens the top and motions to Boudreaux to approach the car. Thibodeaux is sitting there and is astounded as he watches the pope bless Boudreaux with the sign of the cross.

Boudreaux turns around and comes back to the camp out, but looking a little down. Thibodeaux says "Boudreaux, what's the matter with you? You just got blessed by the pope. Mai, I'd by happy about dat, me."

"Ah nooo man, he just pointed at me, pointed at you pointed at the crab boiler and said 'I want you and that other coonass to take that crab boiler and get the hell off my lawn', and then he pointed towards the exit back dere."

(This is more of a visual joke).

You know what you can do? Ask a Cajun musician. He would probably say," You know, I never really gave it any thought".

And that's exactly true. Where I'm from the thought of religion seldom crosses the mind of any player. The "God Factor" comes from the playing and singing from the soul and being able to relate this art to one's past and present life. La Verite'

Unless of course you're parakeeting the music like so many do. Then you can't feel nothing and therefore, you can't cause others listening to you to feel it either.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!